Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, October 01, 2007

A sweet visit

I had a sweet, unexpected visit today. I took a side road on the way home to keep from getting stuck in traffic, and who would I see just beyond the stop sign except Bev's daughter-in-law Gina, Gina's sister, and Bev's (and my) friend, Cindy...all pushing baby strollers on the way to the pumpkin patch just up the street at the Methodist church. I was thrilled to see them all doing something fun together, so I parked my car and went with them! It was a great chance to visit with friends and just be around children for a while. What I haven't shared in the events of the last week is that Bev's daughter-in-law, Gina, had a new baby last Thursday...two days after Bev's funeral. This baby was not due until the end of October and Bev had so wanted to see this child born, so it was a little bittersweet that it came so close to the time she died, but God has a plan and as it would turn out, this baby was born seven years to the day that Bev's cancer was diagnosed. I ran into Bev's son at lunch today and he said that even the birth time was within ten minutes of when Bev had her appointment to meet with her doctor seven years ago as well. It just continues to be an amazing and touching story. There are seven grandchildren in that family now, and surprisingly enough, the oldest just turned 3 yesterday! Can you imagine? Bev always told me that her prayer when she got cancer was just that God would let her see her grandchildren, and He did allow her to see all except the last one. I'm sure he's gonna be a special little guy....and they gave him a great name....Caleb Bevin!

Also, I posted a couple of months ago (July 30) about my friend Melanie's 20th anniversary with CFA. There was a photographer there and I had asked her about pictures a few days later. She said she would check and let me know. I have only thought about it occasionally since, usually while driving or at a time I couldn't ask or do anything about it, so you can imagine how happy I was when she e-mailed me a few pictures last week at work. I was elated to open the first one.....Bev, Melanie, me and Cindy. This was by far the best one of them all, and the ONLY one of the 4 of us. I had really even forgotten we'd had this picture taken....but I'm SOOOOOOO glad we did. Two short months ago. You just never know. I feel a post welling up within me about living with no regrets....so I'm sure that will be coming soon. Life certainly has lots of lessons.

For now, here's the picture.....which, needless to say, I LOVE! Happy times with sweet friends.


Can you believe how short I am? I never realize it until I see myself in pictures! HA!

10 comments:

Being Transformed said...

What a sweet post and a beautiful picture of four wonderful ladies. I know that you will treasure this one for the rest of your life. Tears filled my eyes as I gazed on those happy smiles. And you may be a bit shorter in the height department, but you are more than anyones equal in character, love for the Lord and everything that matters.

By the way my entire life's goal as a child was to grow as tall as my great, great Aunt Mary who was 4'11'' tall! How tall are you???

LF

Lyndy said...

What a sweet post, so glad you got to have time with friends.

I am a shortie too, so I an so relate. (lol)

Tonja said...

Dianne, How wonderful that you have that picture. I know it is so dear to you. You all look so happy...sharing life together.

I'm 5'1" so I got the short gene, too!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful happy picture - I'm sure you'll treasure it.

You're cute and little - I'm one of the redwoods!

Deedra said...

This is such a sweet post, Dianne! I'm so glad you took the time to go with them. I'm sure it blessed them as much as it did you to spend time with them! I'm hoping to get to take Carter to a local Pumpkin Patch this weekend...being that he is a country boy to the very bone, I can't wait to see his reaction!

Tracey said...

what a great picture. I know you will treasure it. She looked so happy---you all do!

I also loved your previous post on your 10 things list. I've been so busy, I haven't had much time to get online and comment every day.

Hope all is well...

Jill said...

Dianne - oh my goodness, what a sweet and loving post. It was so touching to read about Bev's new grandson...and to think you just happened to turn down the road!

A Captured Reflection said...

Your blog really lifts me up and I have given you an award, see my latest post!

Jean said...

I love this post and the picture!! How near, and yet how far away are our loved ones who have "crossed the great divide." Sometimes I just hate it, but for their sake I wouldn't wish them back here.

Yes, I'm a 5'1" shorty too!

Justabeachkat said...

What a great photo. I hope it cheers you each time you look at it. It wasn't a fluke you turned down that street. God knew just where you needed to be.

Hugs!
Kat