Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The "Lost Art..."

It's getting late....I was driving home tonight thinking, "I've got to post something!!!!!!" I'm hoping that Leanne will post about what we did tonight, so I'll save that for her....(hint, hint, my friend!)

First of all, let me say thanks for the great ideas to post about and thanks for all the kind words of encouragement! I am sure you will be seeing some of those suggestions put to type before too long, I just need time to think about what to say......

Here's what I'm thinking tonight.....I'm thinking about listening. To God. To ourselves. But most of all, to each other.

I found a quote by Dale Carnegie many years ago that goes like this, "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you." I was probably in my late teens or early 20's when I found that quote, but I thought I'd try putting it in to practice, and you know what....it really works! It works because we are starving for people we can be honest with, people we can share our heart with without feeling judged and people that we trust will not use what is shared with them at some point against us. And sometimes we just need people to simply listen. To be solid. To be supportive. To be a stable force when we need it.

I have a book in my room titled, "The Lost Art of Listening." I bought it several years ago and read about 1/4 of it back then, but I never finished it. For some reason, I've felt the 'tug' to read it again lately, so that is going to be my attempt. Hopefully it will help me hone my listening skills, and I'll pass on any tidbits that just astound me.

One thing I found just thumbing through it tonight....'There's a big difference between showing interest and taking interest.'

AMEN!

9 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Love the quote! So true.

Hugs!
Kat

A Captured Reflection said...

That quote really does get you to thinking! I am going to save this post Dianne, as I don't want to forget it!

melissa said...

This post really speaks to me, Dianne. Thanks so much for you wise words!

Melissa

Tonja said...

Something happened to my first comment...who knows where it went. Any way I was saying that your words are full of wisdom. I think you are well on the way to becoming a philosopher. You really cause us to think.

Anonymous said...

Most people hear what you say, but they don't listen. I like the quotes - very true.

Profbaugh said...

Oh this is so true!! I absolutely love the Dale Carnegie quote. Listening, I'm afraid has become a lost art. Yup, some good advice here Diane. Thanks.

~Cheryl

Unknown said...

I think that even though Dale Carnegie wrote all this stuff so many years ago, it still holds true in this day and age. I also have a book by him called How to stop worrying and start living. But none beats his old stand by How to win friends and influence people. I also just got finish reading an article from a pastor on listening and was saving it to post someday. Anyway, got carried away because this was a great post! Thanks!

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

When we were growing up, and acting up, my Dad's constructive punishment for us would be to have us read a chapter of a Dale Carnegie book! Usually, How to Win Friends and Influence People.
(I know my Dad would appreciate your positive blog-ific influence on my life!)

Anonymous said...

I read this post several days ago, but the first quote in red, really hit me today. I can be a chatter box. And if nobody is talking and looks like the conversation is turning dull, there goes my mouth. Off to tell some cute story and trying to make everybody laugh. I don't think it's bad to be like that some of the time, but I have to always make sure I am asking others questions and not just ranting selfishly.