Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Sunday, October 21, 2007

What's yours?


Our Minister of Music preached our sermon tonight. It was titled, 'A SINGING Sermon.' He touched on points of 'The GREATNESS of God,' 'The LOVE of Jesus,' 'The POWER of His Spirit,' 'The PROMISES of God's Word,' 'The PRIVILEGE of Prayer,' 'The GLORY of Worship,' and 'The JOY of His Presence.' With each, he gave scripture then he had us sing choruses or parts of hymns that went along with each point. I don't know that I have ever heard or taken part in a sermon like that before, but it was absolutely fabulous. I was thinking on the way home about it all and got to thinking about my favorite scriptures...I have several, but here are a few:

Psalm 19:14
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer."

Psalm 51:9-12
"Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."

Romans 12:1-2
"I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing unto God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do no conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."

and Hebrews 3:13
"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."

Scripture can be so personal, yet at times so general. Certain passages can mean so much at one point in life where we've never experienced a particular need before, then some scripture just transcends all life events and time. I was thinking that I don't think we've ever 'chatted' on our blogs about our favorite scriptures, so that leads me to the question....

'What's yours?'

9 comments:

Being Transformed said...

Of course you know that I stay in Romans 12:1-2 teaching the Renewing Your Mind retreat weekends. But my life verse is Exodus 15:2, "the Lord is my Strength, my Song and He has become my Salvation!"

I do miss Sunday night church.

Leanne

Justabeachkat said...

Oh Dianne...do I really have to just pick one?! I have so many.

Okay, this is ONE of my favorites and one that really, really helped when I first learned about my breast cancer. I do best when I have a visual. During my treatments, tests, biopsy, surgery, radiation, etc., I visualized myself kneeling in the palm of His hand with streaming rays of healing light shining down upon my head. I can not begin to tell you how much this helped. I was not afraid.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

I'm too sleepy tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow evening. My Bible is loaded with dates and names that I have written in the margins beside verses that "jumped out at me" for specific situations. It's always fun to think back to what it was that caused that verse to be so meaningful.

Tonja said...

Because of circumstances in my life in recent years, this verse gives me hope and strength:

"Because of God's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

Knit-Wit said...

My very favorite verse is John 1:1. "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God." Powerful!

Amy said...

Good question Dianne and you picked some wonderful verses. But then again, aren't they ALL wonderful? I'm with Kat on this one. This summer I really focused on Isaiah 41:10 along with Phil. 4:13. He is what gets me through each and every moment!

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Dianne,
You are so precious in your desire to encourage and disciple others. That's why I've nominated you for the Mathetes Award!
Please stop by my blog, Faith Fuel, for the details.

Unknown said...

Okay, no pressure here and of course after I write this I'll remember a half dozen other verses. That what happens in a menopause mind. I do like Philippians 4:6,7 Do not be anxious about anything but pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace which exceeds anything we can understand.

Jess said...

He speaks new life into so many each and every day... it's hard to pick just one! But, the one that I have posted in my room that I try to remind myself of daily is: Philippians 4:6-7.
But, it's funny that Kat said Isaiah 41:10 ~ that one always pops out to me whenever I come across it and will always be special to me... it was my first favorite that I clung to YEARS and YEARS ago! :)