Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Saturday, October 27, 2007

My favorite furniture



Just got home from staying with Kate and Grace tonight and wanted to get my post in for today. I should have done it earlier, I just didn't know I would be so late getting home.

I spent part of the day cleaning today....and as I was dusting, I thought, "I need to share what a cool piece of furniture I have!" This radio used to be my great-uncle's. It's a Philco 41-280 and from what I've found online, dates back to 1941. He'd had it as long as I can remember and I mentioned when I was a teenager that I would love to have this some day. I don't think I ever told him that though because my mom said he didn't like people saying, "Can I have that when you die?" He said he'd rather hear, "When you don't need that anymore, can I have it?" :-) So, after he died, my mom inherited everything he had since his wife had died and they had no children. Once I bought my house and had a place for it, my mom passed it on to me. It actually only needs one tube or something and it would still work. It really is the coolest piece of furniture I own, for sentimental reasons and just because it's not something that everyone has.

Kinda unique anyway, isn't it?

7 comments:

Lyndy said...

What a neat piece of furniture and a treasure since it is from your uncle.

Thanks for sharing.

Jean said...

I LOVE it. When you don't need it, can I have it? Ha, ha, ha!!!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I love old pieces of furniture, especially if there's a special story attached.

And when Jean's finished with it, can I have it??

Justabeachkat said...

Very cool! I loved pieces that are passed down from generation to generation.

Have Kate or Grace asked for it yet?

Hugs!
Kat

Cheryl said...

That is a very cool piece of furniture. It always makes it extra special when coming from someone you know. Thanks for sharing.

Tonja said...

Very cool, inded!

Unknown said...

I love old pieces like this. It's very unique! I use to have my grandma's old sewing maching, it was really like a piece of furniture, it was wooden and the machine pop up from the top--hard to explain but cool like your piece is.