Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Sunday, October 07, 2007

My first 'best friend'


I am one of those people who just LOVES a good quote. I am forever looking for them, buying those page-a-day calendars with quotes on them, etc. The other night, I was going through one that I had bought for this year, but haven't used (!!), and found a quote that I thought was fun. It made me think of one of the first two friends I have had for virtually my entire life. I wrote a post about one of them, Connie, a while back. We lost touch for a few years while we were growing up, so while she was the first friend I really ever had, this quote brought to mind another friend, Amy, who truly was my first 'best friend.' Here's the quote:

"There is no friend like someone who has known you since you were five."
-- Anne Stevenson

I thought it would be fun to post a few pictures of us when Amy and I were kids. She says we started living across the street from each other when she was two, which meant I was three, but I can't remember that. I just know she's always been there! Her parents divorced when we were young (I was probably about 6) and to this day, I remember sitting across the street playing with a stick, waiting on Amy to come out, and her dad was packing his car to leave. I didn't know any better, so I called out to him (nosey person that I am!), "Hey....Mr. (Amy's dad), where are you going?" He told me he was going fishing. That is the last I ever remember seeing him, and oddly enough that is the ONLY memory I have of him. Amy and I had so much fun together. We went to Brownies together, rode our bikes all over the neighborhood, had our secret crushes, played games....all the things that kids do. My family moved when I was nine and I think Amy's moved shortly thereafter, but we packed a LOT of fun into those years we had living across from each other and we've stayed in touch through the years. We realize what a special gift we were given in having such years together as children. It was just fun and I wish children could have that kind of fun these days.

Anyway, below are some pictures from 'way back when' and below that, a letter Amy wrote me just before they went somewhere one year....seems like it might have been California, but I could be SO wrong about that. Funny still to look at and read. If you'll notice the 'DH+BS ' at the top, the 'BS' meant Bobby Sherman! :-) Even now when I see Amy and she introduces me to someone, she tells me to "sing them some Bobby Sherman!!!"....Yeah right.....like I'm really gonna to do that!


Me and Amy


Amy and me in our Brownie uniforms

Me, Patty (my sister), Amy, and Shawn (a neighbor)

celebrating a birthday

Shawn, Amy, Me (back row)

Kelly, Patty and Scott on the front

The letter....such fun days!

(notice how she spelled 'swet shurt'...PRECIOUS!)

Wonder what I can come up with for tomorrow? :-)

9 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

What fun memories! I loved seeing the "old" photos and the letter. Wow...can't believe you still have it.

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

I agree with Kat - I can't believe you still have that letter!! And it's so neat that you have stayed in touch all these years. Those pictures and that letter are just too precious for words. And I did notice that swet shurt - too cute!!

Deedra said...

What a sweet post! I have 3 friends like this. We were inseparable as kids, from as early as I can remember! We don't see each other nearly often enough now, but when we do get together we pick up right where we left off! Those kind of friendships are treasures!!

Thanks for sharing about yours!

Ally said...

I think this is such a wonderful dedicatory to your friend adn the fotos were great. Like Kat I can´t believe that you still have it. YOu are obvioulsy loyal and very nostalgic! This was a very special post

Amy said...

Awwww, I love posts like these! Back in my day (LOL!) there were three of us Amy's that hung out together ALL the time. We were always in the same class too which I am sure drove the teachers nuts ;o)

Thanks for making me smile this morning and bringing back some good memories!

Being Transformed said...

Great post, now tell us about your first boyfriend...................................................................................................................................
LF

Unknown said...

What a great post! Those pics look alot like ones my mom and dad took when I was little. And how rare is it to stay in touch with someone after so long.

melissa said...

That letter is just priceless! Love all the old photos and how wonderful that you have these memories.

Melissa
http://mcc.typepad.com/mcc_my_guys/
username: mccaligiuri
password: lulubelle

A Captured Reflection said...

This is lovely, I so enjoyed all that you shared, the pictures, the memories - what a blessing aye?