Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Thursday, October 11, 2007

The blessings of contentment

One of my favorite things to do in life is to just hang out with friends, have fun and talk. I've had the opportunity to do that twice this week and I am thankful. I had dinner with my friend Joan and her sister, Christy, on Monday night, then on Tuesday, Christy e-mailed me to see if I wanted to go to the fair tonight down where their other sister, Gwen, lives. Of course, I said 'YES!' It had been absolutely forever since I'd been to a fair and it was so much fun! It was fun just being there, but it was fun to spend time with friends (Christy, Gwen, Christy's daughter Jessica and their Aunt Sybil) talking and enjoying each other's company too.

There were many times I spent (and many tears I shed) between the ages of 37 and 40 looking at what everyone else had and looking at the things I didn't have in life, coming to grips with the fact that I more than likely wasn't going to be blessed with children, realizing that I was going to have to make it on my own and just battling that feeling of loneliness in several areas of life. I know the scripture about being content in all circumstances and I know the scripture in 1 Corinthians about the unmarried not having divided interests, but none of that seemed to matter. It was an emotional thing, not a spiritual thing, so it took a while to work though. God knew what He was doing though...my 40th birthday was fabulous...a huge turning point for some reason...and I haven't looked back a day since. It's like I adopted 1 Corinthians 7:17 ("Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him.") and applied it to to my life. The things I've read about this verse apply it to a vocation, but I felt it was applicable to my life in general. I needed to come to grips with where I was and 'turn it around,' so to speak. Since I've attempted to do that, I've come to fully realize that my singleness is, more often than not, a gift. Over time, it has allowed me to have a VERY active part in my nieces lives that I know I wouldn't have had if things were different; likewise it has afforded me the opportunity to have time in the lives of so many of my friends' children that I never would have had otherwise. It has given me the opportunity to build some wonderful, deep friendships that I may not have had the time to do otherwise. It has freed me up to be there when I've needed to be there for others and it has given me a huge opportunity for blessing and ministry in the lives of people, who often turn out to be friends, that God puts in my path. Being allowed all these things has blessed ME....I have been blessed FAR BEYOND what I could have imagined or expected and to be honest, I can't imagine having a life any different than the one I have. There are still times that I worry about my future, from a monetary standpoint mostly, but when I look at how far God has brought me these last few years....how far He has brought me in my relationships and in my trust in Him....I know He has that aspect of my life under control too.

I don't know how all that ties in to me being at the fair with friends tonight, except that I am just so grateful for the people and time to invest in relationships that God gives me, even in something fun like a trip to the fair!

God is good....all the time!

8 comments:

Being Transformed said...

What a precious testimony of God's faithfulness in your life. It's as simple as that statement you mentioned this week, "it is not what is done to us, but what has been done for us on the cross!"

Tonight, my hubby brought up a very real possibility in my life that we may be facing financial hardships in the months ahead. So whether married or single, abounding or struggling, finances are a very real part of my anxiety. Hubby followed my "oh no what are we gonna do..." comments with a gentle reminder that "the Lord gives and He takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord."

My flesh wants to run out and sell my jewelry and get a job. My spirit knows that I have to "be still and know that He is God!"

Thank you for the honest way you always share your heart. LF

Justabeachkat said...

Dianne

What a great post! Thanks for sharing what's on your heart.

You're so right...

God is good...all the time!

Hugs!
Kat

Tracey said...

Dianne,

What a heartfelt post. It brought tears to my eyes. You have found the key to happiness and that is being content in all things the Lord has given.
You have been such a special part of ALL of our lives (my hubby and son included) and I'm so grateful for the time, energy and thoughtfulness that you have invested in our friendship, in doing so many sweet things for Zack when he was growing up, and for always making my hubby laugh.
You are a rare gem who's value cannot be surpassed.
Thanks for this great post. I love how open and honest you are in sharing your heart.
Tracey

Jean said...

Wow, Dianne, I love you even more than I did before. You are so "for real" and it's so refreshing.

Jess said...

You know, He is good all the time. And your post was just a knock-out reminder of that fact. It was just the message I had needed to hear this week. Good to know I'm not alone!
Have a great weekend.

~jess

Unknown said...

Dianne,
What a good post. I read your post earlier but didn't have time to stay and comment. It sounds like you are right where the Lord wants you to be right now. Take care.

A Captured Reflection said...

Thanks for your sharing Dianne. I didn't realise you were single. What a wonderful aunt you are, those nieces are really blessed and that you have a peace is awesome, what a testimony. I think the key that shone through was 'being content in all circumstances' wherever we are at.

Ally said...

Dianne this is a lovely testimony to God´s faithfulness and a reminder that whatever road He has planned out for each one of us... there is a place of contenment in each one. This is a real lesson in focusing and being content with our lives with or without what ever... That applies to all of us.... Thanks for being willing to share your contentment in the midst of maybe giving up and letting go of other stuff (that is what I am sharing alot of lately...letting go!!!!)