Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

So much history...

It is amazing to me when I stop and realize how much history surrounds this place that I call 'home.' Kate's chorus was supposed to sing at this place called 'Nash Farms' on Saturday, but my sister had only mentioned it in passing, so I had no idea it was a big deal. When I talked to Patty, my sister, on Friday, I said, "I guess I'll talk to you sometime tomorrow," to which she said, "Aren't you coming to hear Kate sing tomorrow?" Well, of course, the answer was 'yes,' and I am SO glad I did.

When I got there, I found that it wasn't actually AT Nash Farms, but what the whole thing was about was a headstone dedication at a church close to Nash Farms for a man named John Pleasant Shaw Nash. I've been trying to find out about him online, but with the time crunch of posting every day (!!) what I've found so far is that he owned the land turned out to be the final battlefields of Sherman's Atlanta Campaign from Sept 2-5, 1864. His dad started a church here in 1883, the County Line Church (it still goes by that name!), and John owned and farmed property just up the road, what ended up being the battlefield property. As stated in the Henry County Times, a local newspapaper, "This park was the site of the largest cavalry raid in Georgia’s Civil War History and is the site of the final battle of the Atlanta Campaign." You can read about it all here and here. It sounds here like the Zachry Rangers weren't present for this battle but were in Virginia serving in the Army of Northern Virginia. No doubt, whether he was here or not, the battlefield got it's name and place in history for it's obvious significance.

Below is the front of the program for Saturday's dedication, Kate's chorus (which is normally much bigger, but this was a voluntary thing so I guess not many people felt compelled to show up), then some of the people dressed in period costumes as well as pictures of the headstones.


Lastly, I learned a little about where the story of 'Gone With the Wind' originated tonight too...very interesting! You can read that great story here.

Pretty fascinating stuff even if I do say so myself! :-)


7 comments:

Being Transformed said...

Great post, for the record I am a belle in green velvet not the drab black. Thank God for history, the scripture says, "remove not the ancient landmarks of your forefathers..." Isn't is great to be a southerner! There is nothing like peaches, cream, homemade biscuits, iced sweet tea, and a great old fashioned dinner on the grounds after a Sunday church service. LF

Jean said...

So interesting! And I love the pictures. I do love history. A short road I use every day is called Memorial Road, because there is a very old tombstone at the end of it. Sometime I should look at it more closely and find out the story behind it.

Unknown said...

I had no idea about the history behind Gone with the Wind. Loved that book and movie but that was fascinating to read how it came about. I love history and find it all so interesting. Thanks.

Justabeachkat said...

Wow Dianne. Great post. I loved the pictures too.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Very informative post Dianne. I never knew the "story" behind Gone With the Wind. Atlanta has a lot of history. We're going to Cyclorama on Sunday - more Civil War history.

Tracey said...

I just love the South! Seeing those photos made me homesick. Reminds me of the old train depot there in Jonesboro and how Peter would dress up and tell stories.

What a neat thing for Kate's chorus to be involved in. And what's with the "posting every day" thing??? Geez, you're making me look bad!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

As a descendant of J.P.S. Nash I can say that the above was a bill of goods sold to you by a relic hunter and our family are not happy. J.P.S. Nash was not a SGT. CSA but a Corporal. He is listed on the county website as a Captain.
Also, Rev. T.E. Nash used to live
across the road from the church. I remember when the county line was at the church . This line has moved several times over the years.
I even remember when the road was not even paved. It is a shame that a lie has perpetuated into misimformation and people are being used as pawns in the scheme of this misinformation story. We would like for the truth about our family to be heard. Also, the marker that was placed at the cemetery was illegal and has been reported to the VA. A marker cannot
be placed on a grave that is already marked. There is a lot of history in the area but not the way it is being told.