Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wonder how they felt?

In a small mid western conservative town, a new bar/tavern started a building to open up their business.The local Baptist church started a campaign to block the bar from opening with petitions and prayers.Work progressed, however, right up till the week before opening, when a lightning strike hit the bar and it burned to the ground.

The church folks were rather smug in their outlook after that, 'til the bar owner sued the church on the grounds that the church was ultimately responsible for the demise of his building, either through direct or indirect actions or means.

The church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection to the buildings demise in its reply to the court. As the case made its way into court, the judge looked over the paperwork at the hearing and commented, "I don't know how I'm going to decide this, but as it appears from the paperwork, we have a bar owner that believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that doesn't!"

I'm sure we've all been at least a little guilty of this from time to time, but it's a sobering thought, isn't it?

8 comments:

Tami said...

Ooh. . .that's a jab to the gut. OUCH!

Tracey said...

I've heard this before and it is so true!

Justabeachkat said...

This really makes you think!

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

That is GREAT! I never heard that one before.

Tonja said...

How true is that! I've never heard this before....but it surely bears repeating. Thanks!

Jess said...

I had never seen this one before either. Does make you stop and think, doesn't it?

Deedra said...

What a great perspective! So true!

Jean said...

Dianne!!! I haven't heard from you in so long that I'm going through "Dianne withdrawal!!"