Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Saturday, August 11, 2007

I need a money tree!

Of all the things I am or have, a money tree is not one of them!

Don't get me wrong, I like money as much as the next guy, but I'm so glad it is not something that strive to hang onto at all costs, because if it were, this past week would have done me in!

I took my car to get the oil changed a couple of weeks ago and asked them to look at my tires because I had noticed the front one on the driver's side was worn, no doubt because that's where I am most of the time. I figured the other front one was the same way, so I just asked them to check it out. You can imagine how happy I was when I went to pick it up and they told me I needed 4 new tires! UGH! I knew I'd need some, but maybe not all 4 at once. I did run it by some male friends and my dad to be sure I wasn't getting taken, but they all agreed.

So here we are 2 - 3 weeks later. He had told me before they had some on sale that were usually $99.99 per tire, but were on sale for $79.99 each until the end of August, so doing that saved me $80. What I didn't realize, and why I didn't realize it I don't know because I have bought tires before (!!), is that there are charges for balancing, alignment, valve stems, tire disposal, etc. So I march in thinking $320, and the tells me $511 for a total price. GEEZ! I needed them though, so what could I do?

I told them when I dropped it off that it was sluggish in cranking, so I'd appreciate it if they could check that out too. I don't know if they did or not because the guy told me up front that as hot as it's been, starters want to expand and that can make cars sluggish in starting. He didn't say anything about it when I picked my car up from getting the tires and I didn't think to ask. It started fine then and has started fine until last night....

I went to Books-a-Million to get something for Kate's birthday and that's when it started. It didn't want to crank, but I tried a second time and it started right up....so off I go just a few stores away to Target. I prayed when I parked that it would crank when I came out a few minutes later, but no luck. I sat there knowing that my mom is in town and that my sister is at home cooking dinner for everyone, that it was my mom's birthday, and that we didn't need that to deal with right then....so I sat there and tried several times....nothing. So I just said, "God, if you can just let this thing crank a few more times, I will take it first thing tomorrow to get it looked at."

Guess what.....right away it cranked! WOW! :-) I like immediate answer!

So I came home, wrapped mom's gift, went to my sister's, came home about 10:15, then went this morning to find that it was the battery and that it was totally gone. He was sort of surprised it had enough energy to do as much as it did, but I was just thankful! So to the tune of $135, I left with a new battery.

What an expensive week...but this is how it breaks down:

4 new tires.....$511
1 new battery.....$135
The feeling of being safe on the road and knowing that God answers prayer....priceless!

9 comments:

Tonja said...

He is in charge of EVERYTHING, isn't He? What a great story!
But sorry you had so much trouble with it! Maybe that is all behind you now for a good while. Hope so!

Being Transformed said...

I always tell my girls, "if money can fix it, it is not a problem". I am thankful you are driving safely with a new battery. God was faithful to get you through the auto crisis and keep you moving. THe story about the battery made me think of the Holy Spirit. Without a power source (the Source) we are helpless and stranded everyday!!! LF

Tracey said...

I love that once you prayed your car started right away! Isn't God good?! And it's crazy that we are so amazed every time He does things like that!!!

sorry for all the $$$ issues... it's always like that--when it rains, it pours!

Speaking of rain...wish we had some! Burning up here in Lower Alabama!!! How 'bout y'all?!

Hope you have a good week!

Justabeachkat said...

Gosh...so sorry about the car woes. If you're like me, I don't like spending money on the car. I know you have to, but I'd much rather spend it on clothes or things for the house. :-) And when several things pile up on needed repairs/replacements for the car, it hurts. I'm so glad it lasted until after your Mom's birthday dinner though.

Hugs!
Kat

Lyndy said...

Bless your heart. Our weeks have certainly been similar as I have had major car issues to deal with.

Glad it all worked out. God always provides.

Jess said...

I can relate. I'm actually putting off getting new tires now. Already went and got my oil change this month. And as far as the car not wanting to start? I had a car a few years back that, in the heat of summer, it just refused to start. Except for when the mechanic tried, of course. :) You really take that car starting for granted, don't you? :) I know it's expensive, but it's worth it to have a reliable car that will get you there safely. And just knowing God's there with you always helps. :)

Profbaugh said...

Oh my goodness!! What a wonderful car story. I can't believe you actually "prayed" your car into starting. And people say God doesn't answer prayer. WRONG!!

On the other hand, I'm sorry to hear about your car woes. I know the feeling if that's any comfort. Cars can suck up $$$ faster than anything.

I absolutely love, love, love the end of your post. . . PRICELESS!!

~Cheryl
in sizzling St. Louis

Jean said...

I'm sorry about all those unexpected car expenses. Even with my husband being an auto mechanic we still feel so many times like we need a money tree. I keep trying to compare ourselves to those who are much less fortunate and to be thankful for the many blessings we do have. Even having a car at all is an unthinkable luxury for many people in the world!

Deedra said...

What a great story! The prayer part, that is. Not the cash part! OUCH!