Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

It ain't much, but it's home!

I was telling a friend at work today how much I LOVE my yard right now! I've been in my house for 2.5 years and am just now starting to feel like it is 'home.' Although I do not know a thing in the world about plants, my sister has a horticulture degree and my dad has a tree farm, so last May, we did a makeover on my yard. We planted 7 trees between the front, sides and back, and miscellaneous other plants along the way. There were two big ugly trees in the front where that one is now (that's why there's such a big bed...we're going to plant more there soon, hopefully!), then my sister and I planted day lilies and a few other plants that I have no idea what they are called. There are little bushes in the front, which I LOVE, when they bloom. I believe they are daisy gardenias. They haven't bloomed and made their appearance yet, but I'll post a couple of pictures when they do. Anyway, the day lilies and everything are starting to bloom and I love the way it looks. I just like that there is so much color, but that is one of the things my sister was going for. You can't really tell all that from this picture, but this is my house:









These roses are by driveway at the garage. I don't know that this picture does them justice!

Some of the mulch has washed away, but these are little puffy things that I have NO idea the name of, and some day lilies. There are also day lilies by the walkway leading to the door. This doesn't look as fabulous as they do in real life either, but you get the idea!


(There are more plants along the sides of my house and in the back, but I'll save those for later...no sense boring you all at once!) :-)




And this is my lazy cat who I also love! She is sitting in the window in the kitchen and I couldn't get her to look at me to save my life.

Anyway, like I said, 'it ain't much but it's home.' When I think about the fact that I am single and have one income, it doesn't take much to look around and see what God has allowed me in this life and I am one grateful girl!

Life is good!

8 comments:

Jean said...

The flowers are absolutely beautiful, especially when clicking on the pictures to enlarge them, and so is your house. You can feel rightfully very proud of yourself, and your gratefulness is so obvious.

Tracey said...

Gorgeous pictures! I LOVE the knock-out roses and your description of other stuff was cracking me up! I'm with you on that, I was with my friend for lunch at Southern Homes and Gardens cafe and then she wanted to look around in the nursery area and she was naming all the flowers, etc. I KILL EVERYTHING I try to plant! No green thumb here!

Your house is beautiful and I love sweet kitty too!

Justabeachkat said...

You should be very proud of yourself and your home! Your house is darling! I love flowers and this time of the year is exciting since so many things are looking good.

Your cat reminds me of one we had until a few years ago. Mr. Randi was black and white too. Very sweet. But, just like your cat, you couldn't make him do anything either.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Looking forward to more.

Deedra said...

lol...I love the "little puffy things" I can just see me going to the nursery and asking for little puffy plants with purple flowers! You are too funny!! Your house is beautiful! We have lived in our house just over a year, and still have no landscaping...it's driving me nuts! I can't wait to get it done. Yours is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Jill said...

Everything looks so nice. I can't grow a thing to save my life. We have an old house with lots of trees, but everything I've planted has died. **sigh**

Tonja said...

What a lovely home. It shows that a lot of love lives there. The flowers are so pretty. Don't feel too bad about not knowing the names...I just call them pink flowers and yellow flowers. :)

Jess said...

You have got a beautiful home! And now a beatiful seting for it. You've done a great job... I really go for the ones with all the color, too.
And, you know, it's funny - I had a cat that looked like yours, too! Lucifer (like Cinderella-only mine was sweet). He was my favorite of all time (and we had tons of cats, growing up). Very sweet.

Anonymous said...

it looks awesome!