Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

God at work

When I first got to work this morning, a client called to tell me about how they'd had to let an employee go on Friday and all that ensued with that. While I was on the phone, my sister radioed me (Nextel) and said that she and my step-mom were going to Kate's Awards Day this morning. Well, let me suffice it to say that I have NEVER missed anything those girls have been in unless it has been absolutely necessary...and that has only been about twice in their whole lives. I have been at my job 22 years and have plenty of vacation, so once tax season is over, I can be off to do pretty much whatever I want to do unless there are deadlines looming or something. My sister hadn't told me about Kate's Awards Day, so I had no plans to go and it was starting in about 30 minutes. There was just no way. I sarcastically told my sister to tell Kate that I didn't know about her Awards Day today or I would have been there. She said she would, but I told her, 'Good, because if you don't, I will!' :-) We both laughed because my sister and I are pretty close....she knew I wasn't being ugly, simply that I didn't want Kate to think I had just skipped it.

The other side of the story is that I had plans to attend a funeral this morning, and that wound up being where I needed to be for a couple of reasons. As I sat there listening to the words of my friend who spoke, the two preachers that spoke, etc, I just thought about how much THAT was right where I needed to be at that moment in time, for my friend and for myself. Although I had no intention of changing my plans of attending this funeral, I had been a little disheartened that my sister hadn't told me about Kate's thing, but really, God knew what He was doing in not having my sister tell me about it. Everything worked out just like is was supposed to and I had to admit that to my sister tonight. Kate will have other things for me to attend over time, but this was the one time my friend would experience this loss and the one time I could be there for her, to support her, for that reason.

I LOVE when I can see where God has worked when I may not have realized it at the time.

Today was one of those days. I am thankful.

5 comments:

Deedra said...

Awesome post! I just love it when God works something out, then reveals His work to me right then and there! I like to call it the "white light effect". Like a white light from heaven shining right on me! Straight from God! (you know, like the white light on touched by an angel)

Justabeachkat said...

Yes, I know what you mean. That was one of those "Aha! Moments" (I think that's what Oprah calls them) when you suddenly understand the "why" of a situation.

Jean said...

It reminds me of the statement I once heard - if we knew what God knows we would want what He wants.

Tracey said...

Good post and good comments too! Like I mentioned a few days ago, if I could just stay out of His way and let Him work, I know I would be much happier!

Tonja said...

And how many more lessons do we fail to learn because we don't take the time to see. I think if we really knew how many ways God was guiding our lives, we would be so surprised...and more willing to just let HIM lead.