Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

OOKED OUT!!

I know what I am about to say is not even a word, but I am OOKED OUT tonight! UGH!

I went to Chick-Fil-A tonight because my niece's school had 'spirit night' there and we were wanting their class to have the most dollars spent...but that's not the ookey part. (Nothing about CFA is ookey!) I came home and was watering my plants out front, minding my own business, just pondering life, weeds and whatever else it is that you may think about while watering plants. I made it all the way across the front and was coming back across just hitting a few of the plants again when a MOUSE came running out from under one of my daisy gardenia bushes! (Okay, THAT'S the ookey part!) If there is one thing in life I am horrified of, it is rodents.....EEK! I tried to douse the thing with water, but it just kept scampering on.....so I raced over, turned off the water, fixed the hose back, ran in to close the garage door (lest it help its little self to my belongings in the garage), then gathered up Sweet Kitty and went to stand at the glass door until we saw that little mouse start emerging from the bushes again. Well, needless to say, that didn't take but just a minute, so I THREW Sweet Kitty outside and slammed the door behind her (and I DO mean slammed!)....because hey, isn't that what cats are supposed to do....chase mice??? She definitely saw her, but I'm not sure she got her. I can say one thing though....THIS big ol' body hasn't moved that fast in a while! :-) I was definitely scootin'!

So while Sweet Kitty was outside looking for her little 'treat,' I called my sister to discuss Mother's Day for our mom and to try to garner some sympathy for the mouse incident....and NO sympathy! She knows I am horrified of them and all she did was giggle....NO HELP AT ALL! I thought she might tell me, since she is a horticulturist, what I could get to keep nasty things like that away that wouldn't hurt plants....NO HELP....just giggles. While we are talking, I hear my neighbor's DOG (who is literally smaller than my cat!) outside barking to the high heavens, so I just KNOW she has seen my cat and that is what she is barking at. Still on the phone with my sister, I go racing outside to check that out and my cat is nowhere to be seen. I am SURE she was IN the bushes with the mouse. She's really scared of people and anything that isn't familiar, so I am sure that dog incident was almost more than she could handle. I am still trying to beg her to come in, all to no avail....you know how cats are when they don't want to do something.....I just hope she caught that mouse!

So anyway, I hang up from talking with my sister and am still creeped out about the mouse thing, and I decided to call one place that I KNEW I'd get sympathy. My mom. There was an incident when I was in high school where a mouse got in our house and I just FREAKED, so she knows what a predicament this was for me tonight. She did give me some sympathy, but she really just laughed too!

FAMILY.....whaddaya do? :-)

7 comments:

Jess said...

That's hilarious! and paints quite a picture!! Your poor cat, thrown out the door, drafted into battle in your defense! :) And probably not even sure what had you so excited! Ahhh... the joys of living as a single woman! Hope you found the 'rat', but moreso hope you found your kitty!! :)

Tracey said...

too funny! I'd be FREAKING out too! I hate any kind of rodents, snakes, bugs, anything!

Deedra said...

This is totally cracking me up! I have this mental picture goin' on here! I'm wondering what your neighbors were thinking? You watering the plants, then chasing the mouse with the water, then running in and hurling the poor cat out the door! LOL. I wonder what your neighbor is typing on their blog tonight?..("i have this crazy neighbor"...haha!)

P.S. Thank you for the very sweet comment on my IOW post tonight.

Justabeachkat said...

I just posted on my blog tonight about my scary critter and then I come read your blog. I think mine could take care of yours for you. Not that you would want it to come to your house either.

Jean said...

I'd take your scary critter over Beachkat's any day. Maybe the critter we're dealing with could handle yours and hers. I think we've got a resident skunk. Almost every night we get that sweet odor wafting in from our back yard. I just asked Dick last night, "How in the world do you 'catch' a skunk?" He was very helpful - his answer: "I have no idea."

Tonja said...

Mice are sooooo scary. But that's enough of this creepy critter stuff! I'll think of snakes and mice all night!

Anonymous said...

www.ooked.com