Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Prayers for a friend.

I don't know how to start out with all I want to say tonight, so I guess the best way is to just jump in...

I've been thinking a lot lately about friendships and the ministry opportunities involved in times of crisis. I included in a recent post a story about a wife and mother who had lost her husband and two of her teenage sons in a plane crash last week. Well, when we were at choir last Wednesday night, my friend Carla told us that she was friends with the mom and her son was friends with the boys that were killed. She just asked us to remember them because it had been VERY difficult. Knowing that Carla was friends with this woman, I had already began praying that God would use her to minister in this situation. I sent Carla a note sharing these things with her last week, so when I spoke with her tonight, she said that she is going to see this friend tomorrow and asked me to pray for her and this visit. Besides the hurt and loss of all this, she feels that a door is open to discuss salvation a bit moreso than it has been in the past and she wants to have the opportunity and boldness to walk through it. There is no doubt that this friend is hurting and probably seeking more openly than ever before, so I wanted to ask my 'blogger buddies' to pray for Carla and this friend tomorrow too. We never know why God puts us in situations or in relationships with other people sometimes, but when things like this happen, there can't be too much doubt. I can't help but to believe that Carla's friendship, life, example and convictions are the things that are leading this friend to seek her out and reach out to her at this moment in time, I just pray that HE will move and speak through her like never before.

I know that I can count on the few of you who read this blog to pray for them tomorrow....that means a lot and I am grateful for you!

6 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Diane

I'm heading to bed in just a few minutes. My prayers tonight will be long, very long. I did two posts on my blog tonight about just two of those I will be praying for and now, after reading your post tonight, I will include your friend. Please pray for mine too.

Hugs

Deedra said...

I will pray for them..I actually have a few times since reading your original post about their situation. It's heartbreaking! I will pray for your friend who is going to visit as well. I can only imagine how nervous she is about the visit!...or at least I would be!

Jean said...

Lord, please go with Carla today, fill her with Your compassion for this greiving friend, let Carla be Your arms to hold her, give Carla only Your words to speak to her, and open her eyes to see You, not as the One who took her loved ones away from her, but the One she has needed all along, and will need even more than ever to make it through the days ahead - the Lover of her soul. Amen.

Jill said...

I will pray for them tomorrow and the next day. I just can't imagine that mother/wife's pain.

Tracey said...

Dianne, I will pray for Carla today that the love and comfort of the Holy Spirit will be evident from every one of her pores as she ministers to this dear lady.

I was in town the day of the funeral, but we were attending another one in Newnan. Were the family members at ELBC or did the kids just go to school at ELCA?

Does Julie know them? Mom said the older son is graduating high school in a couple of weeks. Such a sad, sad story. My heart goes out to her.

Jess said...

I'm sorry... I couldn't check blogs last night. I hope the meeting went well today and that Carla found the words that sweet lady needed to hear to see God really is for her and not against her.