Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, September 17, 2007

Inquiring minds want to know....

In comments from my last post regarding the Middle Name Meme, a couple of people asked my first name, so below is a repost from August 2006:


This is from the wedding I went to on Saturday night....the end of my busy week. It is a picture of my mom (on the right) and her friend Brenda, one of her best friends that I am named after. (The other person I am named after is Brenda's sister, Dianne....so I'm Brenda Dianne....cool, huh?) Anyway, it was a very nice wedding...absolutely HUGE, but very nice. Unfortunately Brenda's husband died last March, so the bride's nephew gave her away. That was both extremely sweet and sad at the same time....my sister didn't even need to look at me, she just passed the tissues! Good thing she knows me so well!

Anyway, my mom sent me this picture tonight, so I thought I would post it along with a funny story from when they were teenagers. My mom didn't have the best home life with my grandparents, so she spent LOADS of time with Brenda and her family growing up. One time when they were teenagers, before they could drive, they were in the car with Brenda's mom, Mrs Bowman and they asked her to drive by the house of this guy that was good looking and they sort of liked. Well, this guy lived in a cul-de-sac and was out in the yard cutting grass, so my mom and Brenda both hit the floorboard to hide so they wouldn't be seen as Mrs Bowman went down there to turn around. Brenda was yelling at her mom (rather anxiously!), "Just turn around....turn around mama!" So, here's what Mrs Bowman does...she rolls down the window and hollers, "David....DAVID....I have Brenda and Anna Jean over here hiding in the floorboard. They just wanted to drive by and say 'hey'!" Brenda is, in the meantime yelling at her mom, 'MAMA!!!......Just go!' If my memory serves me correctly, he came over and poked his head in the window and spoke to them! This story STILL makes me laugh to this day. Brenda's spirit is infectious and I just adore her, but with a mom like that, it is easy to see where that comes from! I was glad to get a chance to visit with Brenda and her mom last night. I asked my mom how old Mrs Bowman is now and my mom said she has to be at least 81 or so, but she still looks great, has a sharp mind and has her fantastic sense of humor. If I get a picture of her via e-mail, may post it too just because I love her and want to.

Are YOU named after anyone?

7 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

What a great story about Brenda and your Mom, who are both strikingly gorgeous BTW!

I'm named after my aunt (my Mom's baby sister) who is Sherry Dianne. She's only 7 years older than me and we're very close. She's coming for a visit next week with my Mom and I'm excited.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

What a great story. That was nice that your mom named you after her two friends.

I was named after Lynn Fontaine. She was an actress way back when - starred with her husband Alfred Lunt. My mom decided I was going to be Lynn whether I was a girl or boy. My grandmother added the "e" to my name later - she said it didn't look finished.

At least my mother hadn't decided to name me Alfred!

Being Transformed said...

What a great story and a very lovely picture of two special people in your life.

My mother named me Lydia Leanne. Lydia from the Bible, a business woman who was the seller of purple and "listened" to God; the Lee came from my father's middle name and his father's middle name, the Anne means grace (I think). I now have a Lydia Anne named because she looks like her mama.

Hopefully, Lydia will become a family tradition for the generations to come.

Thank you for sharing, Brenda Dianne!

Unknown said...

That's a good story. But I was not named after anyone that I know of. Oh well....

Jean said...

I LOVE the story! What a gutsy mom!

I was named after my mom's best friend Thelma and my dad's youngest sister Jean. When I was little everyone called me Thelma Jean, but my sisters started calling me Jeanie even before I went to school. I never really knew the Thelma that I was named after, and I have always hated the name. I'm so thankful my sisters did me the favor of switching to my middle name.

Tonja said...

My middle name is Lynn. I was named that after my grandfather, whose name was DeLeon...but in the North Carolina pattern of speech...he was always called Len.
My sister has 2 girls and she named her youngest Lori Lynn...after her favorite sister, of course!

Justabeachkat said...

Just thinking about you and wondering how you're doing? BTW...did you get my e-mail about the trip?

Hugs!
Kat