Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, April 09, 2007

I was wrong!

There have been times in my life when I have just been flat-out wrong and one of those times has come to my mind these last few days.

Let me start the story by saying that I was cleaning up my room when I was off the weekend before this past one (that should draw gasps since I hate housework!) and came across a 25% off coupon for Family Christian store. I had used all my 'perks' punch-out spots and evidently, a year ago (!!) was given this coupon for 25% off a purchase within the next year. That year runs out at the end of this month, so I decided I was going to go try to find a book, music or something just so it wouldn't go to waste....you know the rule....spend money to save money, right?? Anyway, making a long story short, I did not use it that day, but when I was there found a 'Best of Margaret Becker' CD that I could not live without. This is where the point of my story comes into play.....

In the summer of 1989, I went to AtlantaFest with a couple of friends from work (the ones I saw Donny Osmond with if you read my earlier post.....lots of adventures with them that I may share with time!). I wasn't really familiar with a load of people who were performing since I was just beginning to take my steps out into the 'Contemporary Christian' music world, but there was one artist there that I knew I didn't care too much for...Margaret Becker. She played loud guitar, sang way too loudly (I was probably actually too close to the speakers! :-) ) and I just didn't care too much for her. Somehow in the next couple of years, listening to the radio or something I presume, I heard her again and had a whole different perception of what I was hearing....I started giving her music a second listen and one song has spoken to me over and over again. I remember the first time I really heard it and paid attention to the words....I was laying in the floor, just listening.....then I just started crying. Powerful, powerful words. Needless to say, I have become a HUGE Margaret Becker fan....now she doesn't sing anything that I don't like!

Needless to say, this song was on the 'Best of' CD that I bought the other day. I am thinking about buying an ipod and had already downloaded this song a couple of weeks ago from iTunes so I'd have it when I finally make the purchase, but after hearing it again so much lately, I just though that it might mean something to someone else too. I'm including a link so you can listen to it being sung, but I am also posting the lyrics if you want to read them first. It is song # 6 -- I couldn't figure out how to get it to directly link...but you'll see it listed. Go HERE to listen. (Click on the green dot on the far left, pick the middle album, and song # 6....a lot of work, I know, but hopefully worth it!) There are also other songs of hers from this link I am posting, so if you interested, listen to a few of them. You won't be disappointed.

Here are the lyrics....the song is "All I Ever Wanted"


From where I lay
I can see the sun
Rising through the trees
Before I face
This morning rush
I get down on my knees

I lift my eyes
And thank You for
This life you've granted me
I pray that every day I live
Your heart will be pleased

I pray for
Hands that hold You
Higher than anything else
And a heart that loves You
More than life itself
This is all I've ever wanted
This is all I want to be
All I've ever wanted
Is to love You
Faithfully

From where I stand
I can see the dreams
That you have fulfilled
Such kindness I did not deserve
But You gave it still

What do I have
That You did not give
There's nothing that I can see
So all I have to give to You
Is what You've given me

I pray for
Hands that hold You
Higher than anything else
And this heart to love You
More than life itself
This is all I've ever wanted
This is all I want to be
All I've ever wanted
Is to love You
Faithfully

I know I don't have the power
To love You like I should
But every day with everything I have
I wish I could
I'm standing here now
These words I pray
I wanna love You better
Whatever it takes

I pray for
Hands that hold You
Higher than anything else
And a heart that loves you
More than life itself
This is all I've ever wanted
This is all I want to be
All I've ever wanted
Is to love You
Faithfully.


(and by the way, not to ruin a good song or thought, but I still have my 25% off thing....any suggestions on a good purchase???....and I WILL get my 'thinking blogger' choices posted this weekend...I'm just now figuring out link how to link things this week!)

8 comments:

Jess said...

I am a total music buff ~ probably evident in my blog, but somehow this artist has slipped by me! I think I just found a new one to add to the collection ~ thank you for sharing! She's great!

Justabeachkat said...

Di-Dan

I've never heard of her either, but I love this song!!! Wow! The words and the music are incredible. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It's funny...when you were first talking about her, I was thinking about googleing (is that a word?) her and then you were kind enough to make it easy to hear it for ourselves. Thanks!

Jean said...

Yes, Kathy, that is a word. I read somewhere recently that the new dictionaries now include the word "google" as a verb!!

We have a really good contemporary Christian station in this area, so I've been familiar with Margaret for many years. And that IS a great song.

Suggestions? Anything from Chris Tomlin or Matt Redman is awesome. Michael W. Smith's latest ones are really good too.

Deedra said...

That is a great song! I had heard it before but never managed to catch who the artist was! Thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

I agree... Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman are arguably the best worship artists at this time. For originality though, I recommend Chris Rice... one that flies under the radar, too, but is awesome and very unique. Have fun with your search for something wonderful! :)

Tracey said...

Do like her...Julie gave me one of her CD's many years ago.

LOVE Chris Tomlin! I'm not sure it gets any better than that!

Tracey said...

by the way...put side by side the picture of MusicalJean's granddaughter Sophie, next to one of Grace's younger pictures! They look so much alike!

Jean said...

I was thinking the same thing!!! Must be those curls!!