Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, April 23, 2007

How much is too much?

I'm sitting here right now listening to news coverage of today's funeral for one of the victims of the Virginia Tech tragedy and wondering how many of these funerals some of those students will be able to attend, emotionally and physically. Along with the studies and school work, the stage where they are in life is concentrated on those friendships and their times together. It is a sweet, close time and, along with the shock of what happened, I'm sure their grief feels almost unbearable. Saying goodbye to one friend is enough...to have to experience that more than once in a short period of time...I can't even imagine.

I also cannot imagine the life that the shooter's family must be living right now. I've heard their statement that they are 'living a nightmare' and I can't believe that anything else would be true. It's just sad that now they are left to live with the aftermath. How do you make peace with that when it's on the news everywhere you turn?

What I also cannot imagine is how a mother can move forward after her husband and two of their children, twin teenage boys, were killed in the crash of a small plane over the weekend. My sister and I have nextel radios and she radioed me when I was on the way to work this morning to ask if I had heard this on the news. I hadn't heard it yet, but evidently when she took Grace to school today, she learned of this story -- the mother in this family is a teacher at Grace's school. I've found myself wondering all day how in the world anyone can move forward after losing two children and a husband at one time. Undoubtedly, it will only be the grace of God that will carry her and her oldest son through. Again, I just can't even imagine.

I guess my heart is just heavy right now because I see these, and at least two more instances with people I know but am not listing here, and hear of so many life-altering events that people are going through...and if not life altering, they are at least trials to be endured. I am reminded of the verse in 1 Corninthians where we are told that we will not be 'tempted beyond,' what we can bear. Somewhere in my interpretation of that, I've always understood it to be that we won't be given more than we can bear and while, at the core of my being, I don't doubt that this is true, I just, in my humanness, wonder how in the world it CAN be true at times...some things just seem like too much!

God is awesome though and while I may not understand so many things in this life, I'm reminded of the song 'God Will Make a Way'....

God will make a way,
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way,
He will make a way.

THIS is my prayer for these and so many other families in need.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thought about the shooter's family too. They are under a double helping of grief right now. Not only did they lose their son, but they have to live the rest of their lives with the anger and hateful feelings of others heaped upon them. I don't know if you've read the book NINETEEN MINUTES by Jodi Picoult. It deals with a high school shooting. She writes about the family of the shooter and it makes you realize that they are victims also.

Jean said...

Oh, I do love that song. It does seem as tho some people are given too much to bear. But I do believe that when people pray for them, it is possible that they are "carried" on the wings of those prayers. I have experienced that carrying at several very crucial times in my life. I'm also reminded of a song I used to know that said, "Life is hard, but God is good."

Jess said...

I agree... I hear of some things people go through and I just wonder how in the world they survive. Mother Theresa has been quoted saying "God doesn't give you more than you can bear... sometimes I just wish He didn't trust me so much!" How true. I'm so sorry to hear about the poor woman who lost 3 members of her family... I will keep them in my prayers, along with all the others tonight.

Deedra said...

I can't imagine being in any of these people's shoes. It seems like it's been such a sad week. Starting with the shootings at VT. I haven't even turned on the news much, because it's just too hard to listen to over and over. That poor family who lost 3 in the plane crash, oh my goodness, I shudder at the thought of how horrible they are feeling right now! I will definately say a special prayer for all of them.

I'm glad your back! I was starting to wonder if you'd headed off to a beach somewhere until next tax season!

Anonymous said...

Dianne - Tom Griffin sang that song at the Kincaid funeral last week and the words are so true. I can't imagine the grief that the Kincaids, the VT families or that wife who lost her family in that crash this weekend are going through. Only GOD can make a way for them. . .Beth

Tracey said...

It does all seem overwhelming at times. Remember Butch and Gail, our family friends that helped mom so much since we lost dad? They just lost their son yesterday... 44 years old, heart attack killed him instantly.

Who are the Kincaids? I'm wondering if I know who's funeral Tommy sang for?

Hope all is well now that tax season is over. I've thought so much lately about the friend that you sent me that brochure on. Sending up prayers on her behalf too.

Justabeachkat said...

So much sadness, but our God is present to all who call on Him,

Deedra said...

On a COMPLETELY different note, I have tagged you for a bit of a fun game. See my blog for details!