Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Kids say...and do...the darndest things!

I have never been shy about sharing how sweet my nieces are, how much I LOVE them and what a huge part of my life they have always been. They have done such sweet things through the years that it has taken my breath away and brought tears to my eyes more times than I can count. For instance, years ago, I was putting my oldest niece, Kate, to bed before I left my sister's house and I said, "You sweet girl...I just love you too much!" That precious thing said, "Aunt Dianne, don't you know it's impossible to love too much?" Then we had that argument about who loves who the most....you know the gig. There was also the time she gave me a little box for Easter with two Tootsie Rolls in it and one of her own dollars. BOO HOO!! I told her I couldn't take her money, but she was determined that I was going to keep it. Needless to say, I still have that box and that dollar....and it still makes me teary. She's about to be 13 now and still begs me to stay longer when I'm at their house, says the sweetest things and is just growing into a precious young woman. I could not be more proud.

As I was leaving my sister's house tonight, I found that my youngest niece, Grace (who will be 8 in two weeks), had adorned my car with flowers while I was inside talking to her mom. Well, BOO HOO! I had to march myself right back in and love on her a little bit. What a sweetie! I had been outside kicking a ball around with her before I went inside. Through a window, I did see her walking around the yard picking flowers, but I had no idea what she was going to do with them. What a sweet surprise! As emotional as I tend to be about children, it doesn't take much to make me just wipe out. Sometimes I think it gets worse the older I get, but I wonder if that isn't because I realize the value of actions and words more and more with time. Whatever it is, I am there!

There are the funny things too though and those are reasons that I adore children as well. When Kate was in first grade, she informed her teacher that the pilgrims came over on the cauliflower! haha! That was adorable then and it is adorable now. We still giggle about that. Then there is Grace who is just plain, flat out, funny...when she was younger (she's only 7 now, so this was about 2 years ago) they were discussing what they could give up for Lent, so it had to be about this time of year...well, Grace wanted to know if she could give up panties for Lent! My sister was like, "UH.....NO!!!" :-) Oh well, it was worth a try! Then there was the time that she wanted a certain ribbon to wear in her hair on picture day at school, but it didn't match, so my sister told her no. Well, Grace was determined, so she took that ribbon to school and got the teacher to put it in her hair! My sister had no idea about any of it until she got the proofs back! HAHA! They will have their hands full with that one, no doubt!

And I might add that Nspired by Faith (along the left side under my links) had a hilarious story today. I giggled out loud the whole time I was reading it. HA! Check her out...you won't be sorry! (In case she posts again before you get there, it's the one titled "Grandpa comes by for a visit....or so I thought!") Funny stuff.

I'm curious about any cute stories others may have. I just love this kind of stuff...it makes for great memories!

7 comments:

Deedra said...

Thank you so much for the compliment! I really appreciate it! Your neices sound adorable. Kids have such a way of making us stop right in our tracks and realize just how special life really is! Once I had my nephew in Sunday School class, he was 4 or 5 then, and completely out of nowhere he said, "do you know why God made the sky blue?" I asked him why, He said "Because it would have looked funny if it was any other color." Makes sense to me!

Thanks for the link too! Made my day!...especially after I cooked TWICE in one day! lol

Jean said...

Give up panties for Lent!! That is GREAT!! Oh, do I have funny kids stories. I used to write them down, so I have pages and pages of them. I'll put one here after school - no time right now.

Tracey said...

Dianne, you've GOT to post a picture of you and Grace, because she is the spitting image of you and same little sassy-ness too! I swear something got mixed up somewhere and that child is yours!

She has said so many funny things through the years, but the panties had me doubled over! Smart girl, some days I'd like to give up my panties too...especially the ones that ride!!!

Tonja said...

When son#3 was around 3 years old, he was helping me bring in the groceries. He promised he would be very careful with the eggs. Imagine my surprise when I came in with the rest of the groceries and there he was, sitting on the floor, with the carton of eggs opened. He looked up at me and said..."I checked 'em, Mommy...theys all got the yellow inside." Yes, he had poked a hole in the top of each egg to check. Can you guess what we had for supper that night?

Jean said...

Recently our daughter Lisa was surprised by a big, poopy diaper when changing her two-year-old daughter Sophe. Without thinking she said, "Holy crap!" Sophie said, "Holy cwap, Mommy, holy cwap!" Of course Lisa couldn't help but just crack up. So then every time she got her diaper changed, Sophie would exclaim, "Holy cwap!" Eventually she stopped, thankgoodness, after realizing she couldn't get any laughs for it anymore!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dianne! I am visiting you today via my sisters blog, Bittersweet. Just had to tell ya, we have the same life verse. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to use it...especially since I got married and had kids! Ha!!! Have a great day!

Tracey said...

You've been tagged! Stop by my blog and see the details!