Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A word about teachers

I have two nieces in school in Henry County. One goes to Mt Carmel Elementary and the other to Luella Middle School. My sister is going to be the PTO President at Luella Middle this year, so with their open houses both falling on the same night and my brother-in-law working, the charge fell to me to take Grace to her open house at Mt Carmel last night to meet her teacher, visit with her friends, and visit for a minute with the teachers she'd had in kindergarten and first grade. It was a fun night, but it got me to thinking, yet again, about what a huge responsibility teachers have to educate these children. Following is an e-mail I got a while back and kept because it speaks wonderfully well of the honor some, and I hope most, teachers feel about their roles in these children's lives.

What Do Teachers Make?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

To corroborate his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?" Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor. I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence."

"You want to know what I make?! I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make them apologize and mean it. I make them write. I make them read, read, read. I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English."

"I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow your heart, if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn." Susan paused and then continued, "You want to know what I make? I make A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?"

Just food for thought......and my sincere thanks for all of you who are teachers.

2 comments:

chrome dome said...

Thanks Dianne for that encouraging word. I've not been a teacher very long, but I can relate.

Tracey said...

that's good stuff, Dianne. Thanks for sharing it. We know all about that! Teachers don't make what they're worth.