Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, August 21, 2006

Small word, big meaning...



I guess since my life is pretty much the same day in and day out, I can’t imagine that much that happens in it would be of interest to anyone, so I find that I am using this mode of communication to share things that are on my mind or that have caught my attention in one way or another. If you find these blogs boring, just disregard and check back later......maybe there will be something of interest in the future.....who knows! That’s the beauty of blogging!

My thoughts right now though are of a simple word that caught my attention the other night and I have had it on my mind since it was spoken. That one word is ‘thanks.’

I called a friend over the weekend who has been going through a super tough time lately. I called because I wanted to talk to her, know how she was doing and just catch up. We had a great conversation, funny and serious, then before we hung up, she said, "Thanks Dianne, for making me LAUGH!" Now we never have a problem laughing together....that gut level laugh that always feels so good....and even joke about how much we think alike, but knowing what all she has been through and just the inflection in her voice, I knew she meant those words from her heart. I think the inflection of it is what has stuck with me the most. I said something to blow it off like it was no big deal, but for some reason, even days later, I keep hearing those words of thanks in my head and it is making a huge impression. It was just a sweet thing to say and it meant a lot to me that she felt I was able to help get her mind off things even for a little bit, but in turning it around, it has made me wonder if I say ‘thanks’ as often as I should to people who make a difference at certain times when I may need it. I do make a habit of saying ‘thanks’ to cashiers in stores, to people who hold the door open for me, to waiters and waitresses, to people I work with, etc, but I wonder if I say, ‘thanks for listening,’ ‘thanks for thinking of me,’ ‘thanks for helping with that,’ ‘thanks for including me,’ ‘thanks for.....(whatever may be happening),’ as often as I should (and with the emphasis that I should) to the people who really do have a place in my life. Granted it has been a while since I have had a true crisis situation to deal with, but I want to be mindful that I never show more gratitude to a stranger who is passing through my life than I do to friends or family, crisis situation or not.

Life is just filled with SO many lessons. It took nothing more than a heartfelt conversation with a friend to show me how much simple words can mean when they are from the heart. I have no doubt that we are made to be encouragers, but isn’t it funny how we can both GIVE and RECEIVE encouragement at the same time?

I was the one thanked, but I was on the receiving end the other night in a BIG way. I stand amazed at how God works!

"Encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Take the time......it is definitely worth it.

4 comments:

Cantini #3 said...

Thanks for sharing what was on your heart!

Julie said...

THANKS for being my friend. THANKS for being in it for the long haul. Love you!!!

Tracey said...

You are a gem of a friend...a RARE find and I love ya!

terrible speller said...

Thanks for your comment about the repair man. I REALLY appreciate it. Only thing is I did delete it just b/c you listed our county and I am weird about letting the world wide web know the area that we live. that's all. Sorry, about it, but please feel free to leave the comment again but by omitting that info. THANKS, oh, I feel honored to be a link on your blog .