Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Sunday, July 23, 2006

A song, a shower and a lesson

“The Power of a Moment”

A song by Chris Rice, but also an undeniable truth –

Nothing much has really gone on with me out of the ordinary this week, but I did have the opportunity on Tuesday to go to a luncheon shower for one of the first children I ever babysat – she turns 30 on November 30 this year! EEK! I know I am aging myself to say that, but I will say, even further back, that her oldest brother was the very first child I kept and that has probably been about 34-35 years ago! We all laughed about that…..I absolutely do not know where the time has gone. Anyway, it was a small crowd for a shower, but as I sat there, I couldn’t help but to feel a bit nostalgic about what this family has meant to me for the bulk of my life. There is so much to say about them and what they have meant, but in making a very long story short, there are some things in life that you ‘just do.’ This shower was one of them. Work has been incredibly busy this month and I really didn’t have the time to take off, but since they have been like family to me since I was about 9-10 years old, there was really no discussion on the matter. There is no way I would have been anywhere else. It was wonderful to see the mom and daughter, but as nostalgic and sentimental as I get from time to time, it has made me very mindful of the impact that our lives can have on each other.

From my perspective, as a child at the time, literally 9 or 10 years old, the mom in this family was more of a friend to me than an ‘authority figure’ and is truly the first person I consciously remember God bringing into my life to make a real difference as a spiritual influence. Even though there was a 10 year age span or so (she and her husband were newlyweds), we developed a special friendship in that I would always race next door to tell her my newest joke (which I, of course, thought she was just DYING to hear), help with whatever she needed done, and eventually be the babysitter for the children mentioned above. She always made me feel like we were friends, and for that, I remain grateful to this day. Of course, time passed, they moved, I grew up and so much of life has changed, but I have absolutely no doubt that God put her in my life as a spiritual influence, an encourager and a role model. Age has helped me to see these truths soooo clearly and He has also provided us with a friendship that endures even to this day. The ‘moments’ we have shared are priceless and it was very sweet to sit across from her on Tuesday just knowing how God has worked in my life by her example and our friendship.

In tying all this together, this Chris Rice song came to mind because we are all given opportunities to make a real difference in the lives of the people we come into contact with whether casually or closely, and whether with a child or an adult. I'm sure I am as guilty as anyone else of letting those moments slip by unnoticed on occasion, but we never know when God may drop someone into our path that we may be able to encourage for a lifetime, or even for a day. We all have the same number of moments in a day, and our use of them can be powerful………

"I get so distracted by my bigger schemes
Show me the importance of the simple things
Like a word, a seed, a thorn, a nail
And a cup of cold water

You know the number of my days
So come paint Your pictures on the canvas in my head
And come write Your wisdom on my heart
And teach me the power of a moment”

Teach me ‘The Power of a Moment.’

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Powerful,Dianne. Thanks for always being there for me and for never being too busy or it being too late to call. This blog made me think about so many people that have made such a difference in my life. Thanks for sharing your heart and thoughts in this venue! You are a true gem!

Julie said...

I needed a "slow down the pace" reminder - yep - the older I get the more I want to enjoy the little things and am reminded of the blessings that friends are. Let's have lunch soon and catch up,ok??

Cantini #3 said...

Thanks for sharing something that God was speaking to you about...

Anonymous said...

It is so true that we get way too busy and don't realize how our actions affect others - both good and bad. Thanks for this uplifting blog today. Have a great day! Beth