Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, July 17, 2006

See What You Say...

A friend of mine has a devotional journal that she keeps online....the link on mine titled 'Inspirational Journey.' Below is one of the first posts she wrote. I don't know why this has been on my mind so much today since I was practically secluded in my office and didn't even see the light of day, but it has been on my mind LOTS, so I thought I would pass it along. It is sort of 'heavy' compared to what everyone else is posting today, but it is certainly worthwhile. She uses several 'everyday occurences' as the basis for her writings, so if you are ever in the mood for a good devotional, you should check it out. This one in particular is one of my favorites:

"Here’s an animated thought. What if our words could be seen? What if every time we spoke a word it would take form before our eyes? What would our words look like? Maybe our words would become what they represent, like the word “flower” would come out looking like a flower, and then literally turn into a flower. That’s easy, but what would abstract words look like? What would hate, love, selfishness or generosity look like? Maybe if we could actually see our words hanging in the air we would be careful how we use them. After all we would not want to bump into them later. I know I’ve spoken many words that I would not enjoy bumping into.

Since we can’t see our words after we speak them, we should remember that our words hang in the heart of each person they are spoken to, and they do take on a life of their own. Our words have the power to harm or heal, encourage or tear down. Proverbs 18:21 says, “… Death and life are in the power of the tongue…” Then there’s that verse in Ephesians 4:29 that says, “When you talk do not say harmful things, but say what people need-words that help others become stronger. Then what you say will do good to those who listen to you.” (NCV)
Let us daily ask for the Lord’s help to make our words beautiful, and edifying. Sincerely let’s pray “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

WOW.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Whoa.....She is absolutely right. What if?

Definitely something to think about. Thank you, thank you for posting that. That's a great word.

Tracey said...

Food for thought...good post! Yeah, I've always thought words were like toothpaste, once it's out there, you can't put it back in the tube...same with things we say, we can try to take them back, but they are forever etched in someone's mind or heart.

Tracey said...

okay, so I just got off the phone with you and I am still laughing. Hope my words aren't hanging out there!!

Dianne said...

Nope...they're all gone! We're good.