Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Meet Kate Aban:

Well, I did it! I have researched and found that Compassion International is where I need to be, so I have been looking at pictures, reading about children, deciding just what I wanted to do. I felt like I needed to find a child in the 'longest waiting' category. These kids have been waiting for more than 6 months for a sponsor. That fact alone told me that was where I needed to look. I was orginally looking only at boys, but then I decided to consider girls too and I found this sweet thing named Kate is close to Grace's age! Sounded like a good combo to me...when I told my sister want I was thinking about, she said, "That sounds like it might be a sign!" :-) So, at lunch today, I went online and sent money for one year to support this child.

God has really been using this to put my life in perspective about how much money I spend without thinking. I just bought presents for Grace's upcoming birthday that would pay for almost 3 months of support for this child (!!!) and tonight, when I got home from choir, my sweet cat came to greet me at the door and I thought, "You know, if I only spent one dollar on food for her a day, that is almost a year's support for a child!" Good grief....my CAT lives better than some people in the world...that is so humbling. It's such a drop in the bucket to compare with all my blessings...ones that I am convinced and convicted that I take for granted.

I am supposed to get an info packet within the next 15 days about Kate, and after I see more about all this and how it works, I still may sponsor a boy..it is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. If you think about it, please pray for this little girl. I will keep you posted!


Birthday: February 28, 2001
Age: 7
Gender: Female
Region: West Africa
Country: Ghana
Program: Sureway Child Development Center

Personal and Family Information:
Kate lives with her father and her mother. At home, duties include running errands and cleaning. Her father is sometimes employed and her mother is sometimes employed. There are 3 children in the family.

Playing group games is Kate's favorite activity. In kindergarten her performance is average and she also regularly attends church activities and Bible class.


Program Description:
Your sponsored child lives on the plains of Kasoa, home to approximately 34,700 residents. Typical houses are constructed of cement floors, wood walls and tin roofs. The primary ethnic group is Awutus and the most commonly spoken language is Awutu. The regional diet consists of maize, beans, bananas, chicken, fish, bread, cassava, beef, plantains, rice and goat. A common health problem in this area is malaria. Most adults in Kasoa are unemployed but some work as traders or farmers and earn the equivalent of $32 per month. This community needs school materials, affordable education, employment opportunities and roads. Your sponsorship allows the staff of Sureway Child Development Center to provide your sponsored child with Bible teaching, health screening, hygiene education, vaccinations, deworming, games, social clubs, tuition and educational field trips. The center staff will also provide meetings for the parents or guardians of your sponsored child.

Who couldn't respond to that description....Your sponsorship allows the staff of Sureway Child Development Center to provide your sponsored child with Bible teaching, health screening, hygiene education, vaccinations, deworming, games, social clubs, tuition and educational field trips. The center staff will also provide meetings for the parents or guardians of your sponsored child.

I already know this is the best money I will spend this year!

10 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Oh Dianne, I'm so happy for you and for little Kate!! What a blessing you will be to her!

Did you go to Carlos' blog about Compassion?

I look forward to updates from you about little Kate.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

This is great. Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

What a great thing you are doing! God will SO bless your act of kindness!

Beth

Jill said...

How wonderful to read this! What a blessing for you and for Kate!

Amy said...

Oh, look at that sweet little girl. Makes my heart melt!

I, too, have always wondered about these programs and wondering if my money really did go to a child. Please keep us updated and let us know what you think. Maybe more of us will get involved!

And yes, if we stop and think what we spend on our animals or even ourselves...we are a selfish society. At least I am.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Jean said...

Dianne, my heart is melting, just looking at that precious child!! RICH BLESSINGS upon you for acting upon this tug of the Holy Spirit.

Unknown said...

Dianne,

This is so wonderful. What a sweet little girl and I know you will be blessed just as much as you are blessing her. Have a wonderful weekend.

Deedra said...

That is awesome Dianne!! I started sponsoring a child through Compassion 4 years ago. She is from India. I love getting the letters and pictures every few months! It really is very rewarding and such a wake up call as to how blessed we truly are!

Jennifer said...

This is just awesome, Dianne! What a blessed little gal to have such a wonderful guardian angel in you.

Tonja said...

What a blessing you will be in Kate's life. What an unselfish thing for you to do!

God bless you both!