Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Saturday, February 23, 2008

A shocking realization

This week has wiped me out. I didn't even go to choir practice Wednesday night because my brain was just worn out. I have often thought that being brain tired is more taxing than being physically tired. At any rate, I have decided that I need to start taking vitamins. I've never been one to take vitamins or anything like that, but, at the ripe old age of 46, I think that age and the things that come with that are beginning to take their toll. I remember talking with Bev a few years ago about vitamins and she said she took Centrum Silver. She was so funny...she said, "You don't need to take those though....you're not as old as I am!" So knowing that Centrum was good enough for her, I bought some Centrum vitamins today for myself. I am eager to see if I can tell any difference after I've been taking them for a while. It's amazing the way things Bev and I discussed over time have come back to me since she passed away. They've always been in my mind, they just have a certain specialness and meaning now. I really miss her.

Here's my big, shocking realization for the week though.... :-)

I have discovered that I am about to need reading glasses! HA! When I went to the eye doctor when I was about 40 or 41, she was doing these extra tests, but I didn't think to ask what they were for. When she got through, she said, "It doesn't look like you need bifocals yet." HELLO! BIFOCALS? Just how old do you think I am??? :-) It never, NEVER crossed my mind that she would be checking for that. I do wear contacts for distance vision, but my close up vision has always been fine, until recently.....

I've noticed lately that I've been holding my wrist out a little bit to see my watch and have just laughed that off, then I noticed as I was writing out some journal entries at work the other day that I was pushing the page I was reading from back a bit so I could see it better. I told my mom the other night, jokingly, that I guess I thought I was going to escape this phase of life, but I guess not, huh? I bought some little reading glasses last night at Target to see how that works. It has been AGES since I've been to the eye doctor too, so as soon as tax season is over, that will be among the first things on my agenda.

I did do one cool thing last night that I'll share here too....

One of our clients at work is a theatre guild. It is a small, adorable, very quaint little theatre in Fairburn, about 30 minutes from here. We get free tickets because we do their accounting, but I haven't been to any plays there in years. They are doing 'To Kill a Mockingbird' now though, so me, my friend, Gina, her son, Chris and her husband, Jon, went last night. I am the first to admit that I am lightyears behind on reading well-known stories like that or watching movies about them, so I had no idea what the storyline was last night before we got there or anything else. I was very intrigued with the storyline and they did a fabulous job with the play. When I go to stuff like that, I am always impressed at the talent that is there in 'local' people. They have other plays coming up later in the year and I'm thinking I need to be checking into those as well. It was a fun night and something different to do. I had a headlight on my car that went out this week, so I went over earlier today to get my dad to change it -- thank heaven for him -- and was telling my step-mom about this play and she happened to have a VHS copy of it, so I borrowed and may watch it tonight to see how it compared with the play. It's always fun to see how/if they change stuff around to make it work better.

Lastly, and I almost forgot (!!), my friend Leanne asked me to post a link to a couple of blogs her daughter has started to promote family literacy. Check them out... http://excellencethruliteracy.blogspot.com/ and http://www.misscarpetcapital.blogspot.com/ . Thanks!

Not much else from here, but I hope you've had a great week. Thanks for checking in on me....I appreciate it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Join the bifocal club! I just saw the eye doctor a couple of days ago and decided to get new lenses WITHOUT the bifocals. I had the progressive ones and just couldn't get used to them. So I'm getting plain lenses for distance and I'll use reading glasses if I need them for close-up work. She also told me that I'm developing cataracts. Such fun!

I loved the book TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD but never saw the movie. I agree, the local theater actors are usually very good. There's a theater here in Cumming that I want to check out some time.

Jean said...

Good old reading glasses - they're my friend!

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books. I've seen the movie and would love to see it at a Theatre. For that matter, I would love to be in production sometime.

Deedra said...

Vitamins are definitly your friend! They make me hungry though, even when I'm not prego, so I always take them at night before bed. It seems to work for me and I don't want to eat all day!

Sorry I missed your birthday! I hope you had a very happy one!!

Tonja said...

I;ve had to wear befocals for about 5 years. I hate that part of growing older. But, it is inevitable, so the doc says. I have the progressive ones and do pretty good with them.

I was glad to hear from you...it's been too long since you checked in. Let's remedy that, shall we?

Vitamins are good...especially if you don't eat enough vegetables and fresh foods.

Love TKAM. It is one of my fav boods and movies. That just don't write them like that anymore! I love local theater also.

Have a blessed week, and remember that we expect to hear from you sooner next week!

Pat said...

Dianne,
Welcome to the presbyopic world! The problem with reading glasses is that when you need them, you don't have them. Because of this, I invented i4ulenses, reading glasses you keep in your wallet like a credit card.
The problem with presbyopia is that as we get older, it keeps on progressing. At the moment you may need 1.5 diopter, but in a few years you'll need stronger diopter. Please check our web site about your vision and our i4ulenses at www.i4ulenses.com
Regards,
Patrick

Jess said...

Centrum Silver. Bi-focals. ... UGH! It's right around the corner for me, too! I guess it beats the alternative though!
I love "To Kill a Mockingbird"! Of course, I already think Gregory Peck is the coolest actor and I love him as Atticus. Scout is cute, too. (Did you ever recognize Boo Radley? It took me the entire movie to finally realize it was Robert Duvall!) Great movie though. True classic.

~jessica

Jennifer said...

Awww~ I'm sorry you were so tired. I understand, my sister. I really do. Good for you on the vitamins. I've never been one to take them either...even preggers I didn't. Just couldn't get into the habit of that. Glasses---been wearing them since HS. Bifocals? Nope, not yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if the day came sooner than later.

I notice that I have to look down to see things more clearly. If I look at something straight on--it's blurry. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl - don't knock bifocals - I've had them since I was 36!! Beth