Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Two fabulous days

I just got through a little earlier today with two great days at church. We had our annual Ladies Luncheon this morning and into the early afternoon and it was just fabulous. I took yesterday off to help get ready for it, then today was the luncheon. A lot of work, planning and prayer has gone into it for months. God was faithful and everything went off perfectly. There were 400 women there and I don't think anyone could have been more pleased.

Our guest speaker was Erin Smalley who co-wrote the book 'Grown Up Girlfriends' with her friend, Carrie Oliver. Unfortunately, Carrie died earlier this year, but Erin did a fabulous job in her speech and it is a blessing that Carrie's insight and part in this book is still blessing others. Actually, another touching thing is that my friends Bev and Cindy were supposed to be part of today's program too, but as many of you know, Bev passed away in September, so it really left Erin and Cindy to kind of carry on the message that the four of them were supposed to share. It was a heartfelt day for many of us in our church who knew Bev and we were fortunate enough to honor her a bit as well.

When I learned that Erin was going to be coming to speak back in July, I bought her book and poured over it. Being single, if there is one topic I am interested in and committed to, it is friendship because those relationships are what I rely on in everyday life. It really is a very good book and if any of you need a good book on this topic, this is it. Here's a description from Amazon.com:

Book Description
Even when life is hectic and harried, every woman has a God-given longing for relationship, and her female friends play an important role in filling that. Oliver and Smalley help women distinguish between self-centered, insecure, childish relationships and other-centered, healthy, "grown-up" relationships. Using personal anecdotes and scriptural principles, they explain ten characteristics of a grown-up friend and offer ideas on how readers can develop these attributes in themselves. Finally, they tackle the tough issues of friendships, such as how to support a friend in crisis, how to work toward forgiveness when a friend has injured you, and how to determine when it is best to let a friendship go.

Below are a few pictures from the day:


Me and friends that I invited, Joan, Christy and Gwen (they're sisters).


My table was hosted my my friend Rosemary. Her husband, Rick,
is our Minister of Music and this is him being our waiter for the day.


Our table decoration. Each hostess was in charge of decorating their
table and Rosemary did a great job with ours.


A shot from the back corner of 400 women, literally,
having a great time of food and fellowship.

This is my friend Cindy, introducing our
guest speaker, Erin Smalley.

Cindy and Erin.

Erin sharing wise insights on friendship.

One great book.

As an added bonus, I was fortunate enough to meet a fellow blogger, Angela, aka 'Terrible Speller' on my sidebar, (I couldn't get the link to work), and had a great time talking with her today as well. I saw her a little earlier this year but I was hurried and didn't have a chance to speak, so I was thrilled to see her at our luncheon today. I'm not always one to just jump into chatting with someone I don't know, but it really was like running into an old friend and I was thrilled to have that time to chat and laugh together. That time with her was a blessing to me today as well, so if you read this, thanks Angela! :-) I'm already looking forward to running into you again!

And just for the record, I am about 95% well, so a couple of more days should do it. YEA!

This really has been a great couple of days. I am SO blessed!

14 comments:

Jean said...

Thanks for sharing all the blessings with us. Looks and sounds like a great time.

Justabeachkat said...

I'm so glad you got to spend some time with my sweet Angela. Isn't she a sweetie pie?! I love her so much.

Hugs!
Kat

Tracey said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful day! So sorry I missed it!

I love all the pictures! Hope to see you when we're in town for Thanksgiving!

Much love!
Tracey

Tonja said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun! And I'll just bet your friends were looking on from heaven. Great pics.

Being Transformed said...

Wow, when you step back and look at the luncheon from someone elses perspective, it was way bigger than any of us. Thank you for sharing. LF

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. Is your church a large one? I really like the table decoration, really pretty. And that book sounds interesting. I have so many books on my nightstand now, but I'll try to remmember this one when I get caught up on my reading.

A Captured Reflection said...

I have an award for you - see post of Monday 12th Nov 'Ray of Sunshine'. This past few days sounded like just what you needed after not being well too.

Lyndy said...

Sounds like an excellent book. Glad you had such a great time.

Anonymous said...

chatting with you, was a one of the highlights of my day.

A Captured Reflection said...

I have given you an award Dianne. Your blog is very integrity filled and this is a very fitting award for you.

Profbaugh said...

I tagged you :-) See my blog.

~Cheryl

Ally said...

I just want to let you know that I have tagged you!

Ally said...

Hey Dianne,
Now I am back again with a bit more time to read. I loved this post and felt the excitement and success of the even with you! Congratulations! I am sure it was special for all who attended. I agree, I love the table decor... very nice. Glad to hear you are feeling better.... Gonna check out the rest of your posts now!!!!

Ally said...

OH yeah, the book sounds really good... I have written it down and will probably get it off amazon!!!!