Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sister, Sister!

There aren't many of these. This is a picture of me and my sister at the dinner party thing we went to Saturday night. See how much we DON'T look alike? She's skinny, blonde and green eyed, and I'm...well...not! :-) Not the best pose of me either...I was actually sitting in the chair to the side behind me when I saw Bill's camera pointing in our direction, so I had to jump up and get in the picture real quick. We're not only different in looks though, our personalities are rather different as well.

I once heard someone ask James Dobson how kids can grow up in the same family and be so very different sometimes. His answer intrigued me...."No two kids grow up in the same family." How? The answer made sense. He said that when the first child is born, the parents are elated at this new birth..amazed at all their child does..etc, then the second child comes along and the first one, although still special, is no longer the center of attention, no longer the only child for the parents to tend to and love, etc. The whole family dynamic changes from one child to two, then for each child after that. It kinda makes sense that no two kids grow up in exactly the same family.

About my sister and me though, she is four years younger than me and much more stong-willed. She is THE boss...and I guess I let her be! (Here's an example: For Mother's day, we were going to my dad's and I was going to take a dish. I mentioned something that I thought sounded good, then my sister says, 'Nah...I think 'xxx' sounds better. I have some of the stuff here, but I'll get the rest at the store and you can come make it over here.' So guess what I took to my dad's....what SHE wanted me to take! haha! I didn't think about this being what really happened until I was driving home from my dad's and told my mom about it later in the day. I just don't know how it happens...I guess it's a good thing I'm passive, huh? Anyway, she is the boss! :-)) Our recollections of our childhoods are very different and things that stand out in her mind are not even on my radar, and vice versa. We weren't always so close as kids -- I was the tomboy and she was the one who played with dolls -- but as adults, we've formed a pretty strong bond. My nieces have been a huge part of that, but the other part, I think, just comes from growing up and knowing that we're simply sisters....for good and bad, no matter what. We have different views on some things and our personalities are so very different at times. She's much more cut and dried about things, I'm more 'gray area,' and I am definitely more sentimental. She will even agree to that. We are both pretty compassionate, but still sometimes, when things tug at my heart she's like, 'Yeah, right!' :-)

I guess it's a good thing we aren't all alike after all, huh?

9 comments:

Jess said...

Sounds like me and my sister! Though it sounds like we're a bit more alike than you two. But, I think we definitely had two entirely different views of the 'same world' we were raised in. I think it's a great picture of the two of you. :)

Tracey said...

Awww, this was a sweet post! It's like me and Terri. We couldn't be more opposite in personalities and looks too!

Justabeachkat said...

I have two "real" sisters and one "step"(I hate that word)sister,
and we're all so different it's hard to believe we're in the same family. Now my friend, Linda, looks more like my sister and we're so alike it's scary. Love this post. Very cute photo too.

Tonja said...

What a sweet post. I think God truly blessed us when He gave us sisters. Joy is such a big part of my life, and of my boy's lives. And, we're so different...but so much alike...something only a SISTER could understand.

Anonymous said...

Okay now we all know who Grace takes after in looks and personality..look at the pictures you have of her and then the one of you and sister...you and Grace are TWINS!!!
I am so glad you have your sister...they are precious gifts from God. I have sweet memories of mine.
Sweet blog
sweet photos
sweet memories

Jean said...

I love that picture of you two. It is interesting how children can grow up in the same family, yet have such different views and memories of it later. I know that two of my friends at church who are sisters have questioned if they had the same mother because their memories of her are so different!

There are seven of us sisters and we definitely each have our own personality. One time when we sisters had a weekend together, Janet, who was a trained family counselor and minister, did the Myers-Briggs personality test on us. It revealed some tremendously interesting things that we wished we had understood about each other when growing up.

Jill said...

I don't have any sisters but I have a brother 3 years older than me and I can really relate to what you said about childhood memories. Things that are at the forefront of his memory are so very far removed from mine, and vice-versa. This was a great post. Love the photo!

Deedra said...

I completely agree that Grace looks like you! Me and my 3 siblings all look alot alike, but our personalities are COMPLETELY different! It was a good thing during the teen years too!

Anonymous said...

My two daughters have completely different personalities. They do not get along at all. In fact, they can't stand to be in the same room with each other. The only times they are ever together are holidays when they come to my house. Neither one will initiate contact with the other. I've given up all hope that they will ever be close. There are just too many bad feelings between them.

Now, I just met my sister a few years ago and I love her to death! We are so much alike in many ways. She's not only my sister, she's my friend.