Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Family can say things others can't! :-)

I've had some great time with my nieces these last couple of days...well...Thursday and Friday anyway. My sister called me at work on Thursday morning in a panic. Kate, my oldest niece, had something loose with her braces in the back of her mouth and Patty, my sis, had called to make an appointment since they will be at the beach next week for vacation. The only time they could see her was at the end of the day, even working her in at that, and they were going to be closed on Friday, so that was all that was available. My sister had a scheduled PTO meeting (she's PTO president, so she had to be there) at 4:00 and they'd said to have Kate there around 4:30. Needless to say, her call was to see if I could possibly take Kate to that appointment. Of course I could, so I picked both Kate and Grace up that afternoon and off we went to the orthodontist office.

While Kate was in the back getting her problem taken care of, Grace was in the lobby with me making me look (but not look) at a big guy who was sitting behind us with a partially shaved head and a ponytail. He also had tatoos. She kept grinning and snickering and couldn't help but to watch him. After that, she decided she needed to practice juggling with two balls she had in her purse, then we had to do those hand things to rhymes like we did when I was a kid. She had taught me two or three of them the weekend before when she spent the night. Grace is just hilarious to me and her interests right now are exactly the same as mine were at that age. It's just fun to try seeing things through her eyes.

Anyway, in the course of all this, I finally hugged her and told her, 'Grace, you remind me so much of me when I was a little girl. I liked to do all the same things you do and you just are a fun kid to me. And you know what....even some of the people who read my blog think we look alike.' She looked at me kind of puzzled, so I continued, 'I guess because we have brown hair and brown eyes and all that kind of stuff.' Here was her reply, with a grin, '...and we're both kinda chubby!' Well, hello!! :-) It was all I could do not to lay my head back right there and just roar with laughter...that absolutely cracked me up!

Kate came out a few minutes later and they decided they needed a snack, so off we went to Dairy Queen, their choice. We had so much fun just sitting there talking and goofing off. When we got home, Kate went in and turned on the TV and Grace and I went outside to play a little bit. It got to be a little late and I kept trying to get away, but I just couldn't. We were having so much fun and Grace kept saying, '...but I don't want you to go.' I kept staying, but finally it started raining a little and it was time, so Grace went slinking off toward the house. I called after her and told her I loved her, then she came back over to my car and said, 'Aunt Dianne, don't you ever sometimes just feel like crying??' My reply, 'Yeah Grace, I do....come here and let me hug you.' So she let me hug her for a few minutes and we talked a few more minutes, but by the time I was finally pulling out of their driveway, I was a mess...all the way home!

How is it that kids can have you roaring with laughter one minute and bawling your eyes out the next?

I picked them up yesterday about 1:30 and brought them over here to swim again. It was a fun afternoon. When I took them home, I stayed there for dinner...just pizza...then I left. It was much easier to leave that time and I was glad!

Whatever am I going to do when they move??

Isn't that Grace hilarious though '...and we're both kinda chubby!' I don't think that would have been quite as cute coming from anyone else!

10 comments:

Jean said...

She is really a funny and fun kid! I don't know either what you'll do when they move - or what they'll do without you, for that matter. Thankfully for me, I was never used to living nearby Sophie, so while it's hard to be so far apart, that's the way it's always been.

Maybe you need to start thinking about moving too!

Tonja said...

Kids...they are amazing. They have a way to get right to the heart of a matter, don't they? Sound as if Grace is quite intuitive, also. I think I've said this to you before, but my sister has played such an important role in my boys lives. There are things they go to her with, that I never know about. And they trust her implicitly. Kids need adults (other than parents) for those times when a parent just won't do. And it's a different kind of relationship....guiding and nurturing, but still fun. I think Grace has just that person in you and you obviously are just what she needs. God bless you both as this relationship continues. Even though my boys don't see Joy as much, that tie is as strong as ever. Many times when they would come home from college...they would stop to see her first!!! You and Grace will be fine...no matter the miles. You'll just find more creative ways to be a part of her life. And she will know that you are always there for her.

Jill said...

Ha! That's is too funny. You're such a wonderful aunt.

Jean said...

Where in Florida are they moving to? Anywhere near Tampa? That's where my little Sophie is, you know. Maybe those two look-a-likes could meet!

Deidre said...

Grace sounds so cute, innocent and funny. You're right....kids say things that others can't get away with. Priceless!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I've enjoyed reading yours and will be back. :)

Have a wonderful week!

Justabeachkat said...

What a cute, cute story. Loved it! I know it's gonna be hard when they move, but we'll all be here for you, and I know you'll find ways to still be close. Six of my grandchildren are 4 hours away and three are 6 hours away. It's hard, but we make it work.

Deedra said...

That is just too sweet! I bet that Grace is just a mess! You are gonna miss those girls so much! I'm definately thinkin your gonna be making that trip to Florida alot more often than you think! You guys could also get the internet cams, and talk via the internet....it's not the same, but better than a plain old phone!

Anonymous said...

Your little Grace is so adorable! I know it's going to be hard for both of you when they move. But won't the times you get together be just so much more wonderful!

Anonymous said...

How cute. I'll have to search around your blog and see if I can find some pictures. I should go to bed, but now my curiousity is piqued.

Oh, hi!, by the way. I popped over from Clementine's blog.

Henny Penny said...

Such is the way with kids! ;o)

Came here via Pam!