Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Catching up...again!

It’s been a while again, but Kate’s last day of school was great. I was an absolute blubbering idiot from the time I got there and saw how special they were making it for these 8th graders leaving the school that I just couldn’t contain myself. One thing about my emotions...I can’t hold them in! Once something is sweet or touching, I am quickly reduced to tears! Grace missed her last day of school so she could be there for Kate’s Pride Walk. She looked over at me at one point and said, "Aunt Dianne, are you okay??," then she kept checking on me periodically. It was funny and sweet at the same time. I just couldn’t pull myself together. I wasn't a mess the whole time...it came in waves, so I was glad for that! That's just how I am about sentimental things, so it's a good thing that my family knows to expect it. They still tease me, but they know it's coming. Imagine what I will be like at her high school graduation, when she goes off to college, gets married, etc. I mean, this was just 8th grade graduation! :-) She’s such a good kid. I just adore her.

It was really cool because the students filed in, the principal said a few words, then Monica Kauffman Pearson spoke. She’s a local news anchor, and she did an absolutely fabulous job. She spoke WISE words to both parents and children about their responsibilities to each other, respecting each other and, to the students, fulfilling their paths in life. She gave great ‘life examples’ from things she’d been through as a child and young adult herself as well as examples of being a mom and raising her own children. Funny thing. She left a note on Doc’s page at Legacy.com when his obituary was in the paper and said he was the doctor for her channel when she went to work there years ago. After knowing that then finding her making a speech at Kate’s last day of school, I felt like I knew her! :-) That was a very cool thing. I have thought that I need to e-mail her and see if she’ll e-mail me her speech so Kate can put it in a scrapbook or something. At the end of the program, they had the students file out to walk the halls with their friends for the last time...there I went again...BOO HOO! :-) They had all the 6th and 7th graders come out of their classes to line the halls and clap as the 8th graders went by and they had all of us that were there for the program to line the halls outside they gym as well. It was a sweet time and it was sweet to see Kate in her teenage habitat. I SO remember those years. That was a fun day.

Not much was going on last week, just getting back to life at work. It seems strangely quiet coming off being so busy with tax season.

The kitten, I think, is going to be named, ‘Lilly.’ She is 3.6 pounds now, but an absolute handful. From the minute she springs forth from her room in the morning, she is a bundle of energy. It is hilarious to watch her sometimes, but not quite so funny when she tries to sharpen her claws on my sofa, chaise, and oversized chair and ottoman. I’ve decided to use the squirt bottle as a deterrent and that seems to work. She hisses and runs off, but hey...she’s not ruining my furniture! She’s been out on the patio with Sweet Kitty a few times, but I don’t let her roam far. She’ll be the one to trot off into the road and get hit and I’m not ready for her to venture that far yet. I’ve been calling her ‘Little Bit,’ so I think ‘Lilly’ will be a smooth transition for her and for me!

I need to do better about posting, but everyday life seems so mundane sometimes that it hardly seems interesting enough to write about. I have noticed how much I love going to peek into everyone else’s life though....funny how that works! :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate's graduation sounded wonderful. How neat that Monica Kauffman was the speaker. I haven't watched her on TV for a while - what's her hair look like now? She seemed to change her hairstyle weekly!

I had fully expected to blubber and cry at Shelby's graduation, but I didn't. Well, maybe a little when she walked across the stage and got her diploma. And a little when they all walked out.

Jean said...

What a sweet post. I just love how much you love your sister's kids. They are SO blessed to have you.

Lilly is a good name.

And yes, I enjoy other people's mundane lives too, ha, ha!

Jennifer said...

Wow...Kate's Pride Walk sounded fantastic. And what a blessing it is for the girls to have you right there with them.

And I like the name Lilly. Very girly....

Tonja said...

Well, I suppose Lilly is a good enough name...I was kinda pulling for Lassie myself.:-)

What a sweet way for the school to tie things up for their kids. A very nice tradition. So glad you could be there and be a part of it! You are blessed to have them as they are you.

Yes, I most definately think you should blog more. I miss hearing from you. Sometimes the everyday and mundane is such a breath of fresh air! Keep us better informed, ya hear?