Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Friday, June 20, 2008

This convicts me:

"If our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, etc., is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little. If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot because our charitable expenditure excludes them."
-- C. S. Lewis

WOW. This was the 'Today's Quote' from Heartlight that changes on my blog sidebar every day. This was Tuesday's quote from this week. It stopped me in my tracks that morning and has been on my mind on and off since then.

You know, God uses so many different ways and times to convict me of things in my life that I know are not up to HIS standard. Sometimes it's my actions, sometimes it's my words, somtimes it's my thoughts or the unexpressed things I may not share with anyone, then sometimes I read things that covict me to the very core of my being. The quote above happens to be one of them.

I spent some time catching up on blog reading tonight...something I have let slide for several weeks for some odd reason. While doing this, I found that another friend had a great Memorial Day post that was thought provoking as well. I have had many of her same thoughts myself, and even though Memorial Day has passed, her post is worth mentioning again. You should go read it if you haven't already. (Great word, Jill!)

Here's the thing: I think I am struggling because the gas I am putting in my car is more expensive than it's ever been since I've been driving. I think I don't have enough because I don't have the money to do all the things I might want to do around my house right now. I think I am struggling because I am single and trying to live on one income in this day of rising prices of, it seems, everything...and it appears it will get worse before it gets better.

It is a bit scary with things like they are and money is definitely tight, but I'm not struggling.

The truth is.....I am blessed. I am lucky enough to have a car that runs and to be able to afford the gas for it right now. I am lucky enough to have a nice roof over my head. I am lucky enough to be able to put money into my retirement each payday. I am lucky to have food to cook or money to eat out if I choose (which can fall under the 'bad money management' category if I'm not careful!). I only mention things concerning money here because of the reference to lifestyle in CS Lewis' quote, but I am blessed to have the friends, relationships and family that I have. The truth is that I am not struggling in any sense of the word.

I feel convicted, almost ashamed, even admitting that here.

With all that said though, I do give and do what I can when I know there's a need, but I can't say that I give until feel the need to alter my 'wants' in order to do it and that's where I think the coviction of this quote comes in. I want to live with that 'pinch' that CS Lewis mentions, but I don't want to live with it because everything is costly right now or because I am a bad money manager. I want to live with it because my heart is open and willing to help others that need it far more than me. I want to live with it because God is bigger than I am and I know He will meet my needs if I follow through on the things He places on my heart. I want to live with it because I've quit looking at things like an accountant and have started looking at things in light of ministry and helping others.

Thank you, CS Lewis, for your timeless wisdom.

11 comments:

Jess said...

So true, Dianne!
And well said.
And it was a great word from Jill as well. Needs to be published somewhere. Are we just a bunch of spoiled brats here anymore or what??

Jean said...

Dianne, this post is "deep and meaty" all the way through. Thank you for letting that which stirs you stir us as well.

Jennifer said...

Great word, Dianne. And you are not alone in your thinking, my friend. Joe and I have cut back so drastically because of rising prices, it's almost hard to recognize my own life...

But Lord, I pray You soften my heart to Your ways... and to whom You need to be blessed.

Justabeachkat said...

God does use different ways to get messages across to us. Sometimes it's through the words to a song or an article we read in the paper or a magazine or a post we read (like yours today), etc. Great post!

Hugs!
Kat

Tonja said...

Your post really spoke to me today, Dianne. And you are so right. We say we want to help others...but only if it does not inconvenience us. We say we want to give...but only if there is something left over after all my needs and wants have been met.
Your words are true and I thank you for reminding me of this.

Have a great week!

Tonja

Jill said...

This was just wonderful, Dianne. I love CS Lewis! I continue to grieve for people where I grew up - first the tornado and now all of the terrible flooding. The little town I wrote about that had the tornado was also hit by a "500 year flood" and my mom said it has literally been wiped off the map. Nothing left of that little town from my childhood memories. As Tonja wrote, many only want to give if it doesn't inconvenience them. I pray to not be like that. Thanks so much for this great reminder!

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

"The truth is...I am blessed"- and that IS the truth! Amen.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.