Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, December 17, 2007

The fabulous Babbie Mason

There are some things that happen in life that are just too cool. Last night was one of those times.

We were fortunate enough to have the fabulous Babbie Mason at our church yesterday. She sang two songs yesterday morning, then she was in concert last night. After it was over, I bought three CD's....one for me, two for gifts, and a book. There was a line of people waiting to speak with her and since I never know what to say to 'famous' people (and not that I've had many opportunities...some people on Days of Our Lives (who are hardly famous!) many years ago and of course my favorite....Donny Osmond!), I was going to forego that opportunity, BUT as I stood there talking to people, the line kept getting shorter and shorter as others had their turn, got their autographs, pictures, and left. SO, there I was deciding that since she was SO close, I just needed to speak to her. She had mentioned during her concert that they are living in Bowdon now and since I have aunts and uncles there, I thought that might break the ice....big deal, huh? :-) Anyway, I waited my turn, handed her my book to sign, then as that was happening, my friend Pam's husband, Dow (who is also my friend), sidled up next to me and kinda stood there....I was wondering if he wanted to get in on my conversation with Babbie (!!), but imagine my suprise when he leaned in and said, 'They're coming to our house for a little while when they leave here....We have an extra spot, so why don't you come over too?' Babbie said, 'Yeah, come on over!'

I was like, "UH....OKAY!!!" :-) WOW!

So there we were breaking bread together....Pam, Dow, Rick (our Minister of Music--his wife was out of town so that's why they had the open spot), me, Babbie, her husband, Charles, and two people who were helping at the sales table after the program. Babbie had caught wind at lunch that Pam's house is fabulously decorated for Christmas (and it REALLY is!!!), and asked if she could come see it after church last night! Can you imagine....Babbie Mason asking to come see your house?? :-) It was a very nice night and as you would expect, Babbie was as fun, gracious, humble and unpretentious as you would ever want her to be. We all talked and shared things, but she shared about their new ventures, living in a small town where people know her husband more than they know her....as evidenced by her trip to Dollar General one day....her children, her grandchildren, personal prayer requests, etc. It was an amazing night and one that only served to deepen my respect for an incredibly gifted artist and a godly woman.

I told Pam that never in a million years when I left for church last night did I imagine it would end with dinner and fellowship at her house with Babbie Mason! Of course, I'm sure she never dreamed when she woke up yesterday morning that things would transpire like they did either, but it was a fabulous concert and a fun night and once again, I am more than blessed!

But can you believe that I didn't even think to take my camera??? What is UP with that? I thought about that today though and really that may have been best anyway. Babbie may have felt more comfortable since no one 'wanted' anything....just time to relax and talk....no pictures, no expectations....and making it easy to follow Pam's #1 rule for anyone who enters her house...."Make yourself at home." Now THAT is a sweet friend!

But, camera or not, it was definitely a night to remember...

10 comments:

Tracey said...

How awesome! I wish you had pictures!!! But, I agree, it's probably better and more relaxed that way.

I remember when she came to one of our Ladies Luncheons at FBCJ and I bought several of CD's back then. I love her voice...it's very unique and recognizable and most importantly, genuine!

Profbaugh said...

Okay, is it alright to be just a little jealous?? What a wonderful opportunity, Diane. I'm so glad you got to break bread with Babbie Mason. You're about as close to "famous" as I'm ever going to get (tee hee). Seriously, I love her voice. So nice to hear she's just like I'd expect her to be.

~Cheryl

Amy said...

Now don't call me crazy, okay? But I would consider that even better than meeting up with our guy! I truly do. How special to enjoy her in song and then be in close fellowship together.

When you have Christ in common it just doesn't get any better than that!

Unknown said...

So glsd you had a good time. It sounds like a very special evening!

Tonja said...

O Dianne, what a great day for you! I know that was so exciting! I do so love to hear her sing...God gave her an amazing talent, didn't he? But, she always seems so humble. I am so happy for this fun "surprise" that you were able to enjoy!

Justabeachkat said...

Pam and Dow are so sweet and make everyone welcome in their home. I'm sure you had a wonderful time. Pam sure knows how to decorate for Christmas too so I know it was beautiful. Isn't it wonderful how plans change sometime and things turn out?!

Christmas hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

Okay, Dianne, that is beyond COOL!!! Now I almost feel famous because I am a good blogging friend of someone who spent an evening with Babbie Mason, ha,ha, ha!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

I heard about your wonderful night. I am so happy you had that time with her.

Jill said...

How very neat! I was hoping for a picture, too (I never have my camera either) but your telling of it was wonderful. Merry Christmas!

Being Transformed said...

Are you so cool, or what? Wow. LF