Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Thursday, October 05, 2006

A hero in more ways than one...

This is a picture of Justin in Iraq. I have seen it before, but my sister brought it over tonight to have me scan some things to put on CD. I love this picture because I know Justin was proud to be doing something for our country, but if you will look at his chest, he has a little guy on him named 'Flat Stanley' that my niece, Grace, sent him in Iraq for a school project last year when she was in 1st grade. The idea is that 'Flat Stanley' is so thin he can fit in an envelope and therefore go anywhere in the world. The whole class did this project, each with their own 'Flat Stanley,' to see how far he could travel. The recipients, like Justin, would then take pictures of 'Flat Stanley' while he was out with them as they were going through their daily routine. For us regular people, it would be eating out, going to the post office, filling the car with gas, shopping, etc, but in Justin's case, he was propped on his gun, riding on some piece of equipment or whatever his day entailed. The recipients would then write a small journal about his travels. It was a fantastic project and it thrilled Justin that Grace sent this to him. He sent her a very sweet letter back telling what all 'Flat Stanley' had done, but that 'Flat Stanley' didn't like MRE's!! (....the 'meals ready to eat' that they have when they are on the go.) It was a cute, sweet note and now Grace has a fantastic thing to remember Justin by. I am sure with time she will realize what a treasure she now holds in her little hands. My brother-in-law said tonight that Justin's buddies were cutting up with him for doing this, but he told them to laugh all they wanted, he was doing it.....and he did!


I asked my sister if she had a picture or could get a picture of Justin and his wife and children from when he was home a couple of weeks ago and she didn't have any. I'm sure she will get one with time and I plan to post it so that those of you who don't know them will have an idea of who you are praying for, but my sister did have the above picture that was taken about a year ago, not too long before he left. Justin is on the left, his mom is beside him and his brother is in the back. My nieces are in the middle, then my brother-in-law and sister. After the fact, you look at pictures like this and realize how much there is that we probably take for granted in everyday life....just 'regular' events like getting together for dinner, which is where they were in this picture. Who would have ever thought that this would be one of the last times they would be together? I know I certainly didn't when I saw this picture a year ago. It truly does seem that the 'small' moments end up being the ones that mean the most, you know? This has been a very busy and very hard week for all of them just in coming to grips with the realization of what has happened, but more hard times are to come once his remains make it home, so please continue to keep them in your prayers.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

As a military wife, we are told to 'always be ready,' but yet, how can we be? Thank you for sharing the pictures of Justin and please tell his wife that she is not alone. She has a sisterhood of 'friends' standing beside her and praying for her.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that still is so amazing. I will continue to pray for his family - I just can't imagine! Beth

Tracey said...

Dianne, thanks for sharing these photos. (By the way, I LOVE flat Stanley!). He was so young and obviously had such a big heart. Please let his wife know that there are many people praying for their family.