Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Monday, October 09, 2006

Realities...

This was in my Sunday school book this past week and it really got my attention...

"Is there a tool that can measure how much we are like God? Maybe someone can invent a video recorder that captures our actions and gives us a percentage of how godly we are. But would that suffice? A camera that captured our actions couldn't judge our motives. Just because people read the Bible or attend church does not mean they are like God. Paul encouraged Timothy to commit himself to the spiritual disciplines so that Timothy might serve as an example to others of how to remain committed to the principles that helped him to grow in godliness."


I would venture so say we could all afford someone to come along side us with that kind of encouragement from time to time. My most immediate thought when I read this is that I certainly wouldn't want to see any measurement of how short I fall because I already know that my thoughts and my motives are not always what they should be. When I see that in print, it makes me sad and I almost cannot believe that I am putting that out there for anyone to read, but Paul didn't necessarily want to see perfection in Timothy, only that he was making progress in his growth toward godliness. We are examples to a watching world and while perfection isn't possible....a commitment to growth and progress is.....and THAT gives me hope.

And now, another picture of Justin and Flat Stanley....just because I LOVE that he did this for Grace.....


And an update on arrangements...

His funeral will be Sunday at 2:00 our church. They met with Pam and others and got it all ironed out today. He will be buried in North GA somewhere. So now they wait for the weekend. I know that many people are praying for them and I truly believe that Kathleen, Justin's wife, has that assurance in her heart. There were news crews there yesterday interviewing Kathleen, Justin's mom and my brother-in-law and I was very proud of Kathleen when I saw the reports last night. I've only been around her a few times since she and Justin were together here for such a short time, but I was amazed at the strength she seemed to have, at least on camera. I know that our prayers and God's strength are the things that are carrying her right now, I just pray that we will continue to remember them after this week is over because that's really when the hard part starts.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Dianne, thanks for sending me the links to the news interviews. You're right, she did exhibit great strength and was proud of her husband for his courage in serving our country. I will continue to remember their family in prayer.

Tracey said...

I just realized this was all the same post. Thanks for sharing that out of your Sunday School book. I agree, we all fall short every day, but thanks to the grace and mercy of the Lord, we pick ourselves up and continue to strive for Christ-likeness.