Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Iraq hits home

This is not normally something I would post about, but I wanted to let those of you who read this know so you can pray for this family.

My sister called me about 30 minutes ago and said they just found out that their nephew, the son of one of John's sister's, was killed in Iraq. He was 21. I don't know when or how it happened yet, but she said he was a scout and was probably going into one of the areas ahead of other troops. His wife had been visiting our church and joined only a month or month and a half ago. She and Justin have a 9 month old and she also has a 4 year old child from another relationship. She is only 20 herself, so she is very young as well and to be given such a hard thing to deal with, I just can't imagine. Justin was home just two or three weeks ago, so he had not been back in Iraq long at all. From what my sister said, he had only a few weeks to go before he would have been home for good. I can't remember if the baby had been born or was just an infant when he left the first time, but he was amazed at how much she had grown. I'm glad he was able to be here and have that time with them recently. I called the church to have their family put on the prayer list and have them contacted and ministered to in some way. It's just a very sad situation all the way around and unfortunately, it is being played out with many families.....this is just the first time I have known it to happen to someone I know or someone whose family I am familiar with.

If you think about it, please keep them in your prayers, and Justin's mom too.

I appreciate it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is so sad. Will definitely pray for the family. Beth

Cantini #3 said...

In staff meeting today at the church we had a special prayer time for the family. The pastor went over to the Preschool on campus and was able to talk with the wife. It is so sad to think about. God will be the only one that can give them the grace to get through this. Let them know that many, many people are praying for them.

Tracey said...

Dianne, we'll definitely be praying for them. So many people take our freedoms for granted, while young men, practically children, are over there fighting to protect those freedoms we take for granted. I try to tell military people "thank you" every time I see them. I am so sorry for this family and this young wife with such young children. Please keep us posted.