Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Friday, December 12, 2008

Things I dislike:

There are a few things in life that I really just don't like:

**celery :-)
**mice
**arrogance
**inconsiderate people
**loud people
**a few other veggies (!!)

But one of the things I most dislike is this:

people coming to my door well after dark, ringing the doorbell and banging on the door when it's obvious that I am either not going to answer, or I am not home.

This has happened to me twice recently. The first time was the night got back from my mom's a few weeks ago. There I was, sittin' on my couch, laptop in my lap, tv on, happy as a clam when all the sudden, 'ring...,' 'ring....'. Now if it had been daylight, I would have gone to the door, no question, but the fact that I live by myself doesn't make me relish the thought of answering the door after dark. So I didn't do anything....just sat there....then, 'ring, ring, ring, ring, ring'....knock knock knock knock knock! I could tell they were persistent, but I can be just the same, so I got up to come back to another room to look out the window and there was a car in my driveway. I still decided it wasn't in my best interest to answer, so I didn't. About an hour later, I looked out to see if they had left anything or whatever and there was nothing. Kinda strange.

So here I am last night, about 9:45, it's dark, my bath water was running, when all the sudden, 'ring.' Of course, my cats run and hide, not that they could do much anyway, but it was surely an 'every man for himself' sort of deal! :-) So again, I wasn't about to go to the door. The same story followed as before, just as persistently, if not a little moreso. I peeked around the corner to be sure my alarm was set, and luckily it was. (One of the best things I did when I had my alarm system installed was to have a keypad put in my bedroom. I wasn't going to do it because it was $100 more, but my mom insisted I need to do that, and I've been SO glad I did!) Eventually, whoever it was went away, but it was a little unsettling once again, that someone would think it was okay to come to a person's door well after dark, when they aren't expecting anyone, and make such a ruckus. I looked again this morning to see if they had left anything, and nothing was there.

I can't decide exactly what to do in this situation. I obviously can't know when someone might show up like that, and I NEVER intend to answer the door after dark, but you just can't be too careful this day and time. I had totally forgotten about the first time it happened until it happened again last night and now I'm wondering what's up. Just kinda weird.

Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Jean said...

DON'T answer your door!! You could always install a surveillance camera, but that would be pricey I suppose. I'm so glad you have an alarm.

Anonymous said...

get a gun before Obama takes em all....:0)

Justabeachkat said...

I think you did the right thing. If it was someone you know, I think they would call you on the phone if they needed you. Be safe.

I hope you're enjoying the Holidays. BTW, I posted how my Mom and I made our cinnamon stick Santas. Stop by and see when you can.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

FIRST, get a gun.
SECOND, you may want to call the police and tell them about this and that you live alone. Sometime they will drive around neighborhoods at night for a while (I've done this before).
THIRD: get one of those NO SOLICITING signs to put in front of your house.
FOURTH, always, ALWAYS set you alarm when you are home or not at home.
(Glad you like having a key pad in your bedroom. SOMETIMES moms have good ideas ;-)
Momba

Cherdecor said...

That is pretty scary! You did the right thing by not answering the door. They COULD always call you if someone really wanted to contact you. Stay safe!

Becky said...

Girl, you did the right thing by not answering your door. I live in ARkansas and one of our newscasters got killed about 6 weeks ago. Someone broke in! I would probably give the police a heads up.

Tonja said...

Oh Dianne...how scary! I was going to suggest one of those No Soliciting stickers too. And, I am totally with you...if I am not expecting anyone, I will NOT answer the door after dark. And, if I do not know the person, I will not open it during daylight. If it is any of my friends, they would call and let me know they were coming. Our new home will have an alarm system and security cameras on all the doors that feed into the TV, so we can see who is there. I will feel a lot safer with that, I think.
I think you should alert the police, too. Not a bad idea.
A few weeks ago, the police showed up at my Mom's house during the night and said thata 911 call had come from there. Mom and Pop both went to the door, but they questioned Mom separately to be sure she was not in danger. They came in and tried the phone and sure enough the call said it was routed from their house. They stayed there checking things out for about 15 minutes she said. They both felt very secure in knowing just how thorough they were. It happened again last week, and it was a whole new set of officers, so they had to go through all that again. Something with the phones.
You be careful...and use the alarm system...home or not!

Deedra said...

Get a shotgun....and keep that movie set on your tv like the kid on Home Alone does with the volume turned up loud!

Seriously! Get a gun!...and learn how to use it properly. Always set your alarm! and I'd definitely call the police and report what's going on. You may not be the only one it's happened to! At the very least maybe they can step up patrol in your area after dark!

Stay safe my friend!