Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

If anyone is out there still reading this blog besides my sweet two or three regulars who leave me notes, I just wanted to wish you ALL a great Thanksgiving. I've gotten away from posting as much as I did at one point for reasons that are more personal than anything else, but that's not to say it will always be this way. Despite that, I do still check in on several of you and love keeping up with your thoughts and lives. The internet is a great thing for staying connected.

Life has just been filled with regular stuff....work, church, my nieces, watching the economy (just like everyone else) and getting ready for the holidays. We have our Living Christmas Tree at church next weekend and have been racing to get ready for that. We've had so many other things that we've participated in this year that we may be a bit behind on learning the music as well as we should, but, THANK HEAVEN, we get a practice CD. That has really helped! I definitely need to still do some work on certain parts though! :-)

I have gotten two or three, maybe even four, letters from the little girl I am sponsoring. I continue to know this was the right thing for me to do and that Compassion International was the right organization for me to do this through. She often stresses how much she wants to be a nurse when she grows up. I just encourage her in that goal and love the way she shares the things she's learning at church. I still just cannot imagine what a day in her life is like. We have so much to be thankful for here, there is no doubt.

My sister, nieces and I went to my mom's for a few days for a long weekend this past weekend and had a great time. Patty and Kate slept on my mom's pullout couch, so they could watch some late TV I am sure, but that's fine with me because Grace and I got the bed! :-) Grace informed me that I snore, evidently a LOT to hear her tell it (!!), but we had a great time together. I know I have said this before, but she is SO much like I was at that age and my mom even wholeheartedly agrees. Grace just makes me laugh....a LOT. On the way down, we watched part of a movie, played travel Scrabble, sang, and goofed around all the way down. She is VERY quick witted for her age. We can simply look at each other, know what the other is thinking, and we both just start laughing. She bought a remote control whoopie cushion sometime recently (before this trip) and she had to keep using it on unsuspecting victims at every opportunity. There is never a dull moment with that girl. I can remember some of my aunts at my grandmother's laughing at me when I would say stuff when I was a kid, and I was thinking today if Grace truly is like I was at that age, I can certainly see why my aunts were laughing. Kate was just her sweet, precious self. She's 14 now and definitely coming into her own. She is a a great big sister to Grace. One good thing about me going on that trip is that it gives Patty and Kate some one-on-one mother/daughter time that they don't always get at home. I had some good talks and laughs with Kate too, so it was nice to get away. I loved the time with them both.

That's pretty much my life in a nutshell. I am trying to get rid of a sinus infection that keeps hanging on, but I'm definitely on the mend. I'm going to my dad's tomorrow afternoon for Thanksgiving and am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow morning. Of course, 'in' is a relative term. My internal alarm usually wakes me up about 7, but hopefully I'll be able to go back to sleep! I love knowing I have 4 days off! YEA!

Anyway, back to my original point. I hope YOU have a fabulous Thanksgiving, and thanks for stopping by...I appreciate it!

PS.....With all this being said, I haven't gotten notes from this past Sunday's sermon, but I will get those and get them posted soon. I can't wait to hear what Pastor Mel had to say!

6 comments:

Tonja said...

Hey girl,
So glad to hear some news bout what is going on with you. I have really missed hearing from you. However, I have enjoyed the sermon notes you have posted. Your pastor has great insight.

Sound as if life is good for you, and you are getting in plenty of time with the girls. I know you and Grace have a very special relationship. She is so fortunate to have that in you.

I hope your Thanksgiving is full of all the things you like best. Enjoy your time off! Blessings to you!

Tonja

Deedra said...

I am devastated that I'm just finding out there is such a thing as a "remote control whoopie cushion"!...does that make me old? haha! I'm thinking this post just gave me a great gift idea for my 10 year old nephew!

I'm so glad you posted and caught us up on the happenings in your life. I can't wait to hear about the Living Christmas Tree performance!

Thank you for your prayers and encouraging words during this past week or so when Carter has been sick (and always!) I have been slow in responding, but that doesn't mean I'm any less grateful!

I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend! God Bless you!

Cherdecor said...

I am still reading your blog and waiting for your next sermon notes! I hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.
Blessings,
Cheryl

Jean said...

You know I read every word you write! Your weekend with your sister and mom and nieces sounds like it was a wonderful time.

Sure wish I could hear that Christmas program.

Justabeachkat said...

It was great hearing from you a few days ago. I miss your visits.

I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

Hugs!
Kat

Meredith's Memoir said...

My name is Meredith Dunn and I work for Compassion International. I came across your blog this morning and just wanted to take the time to tell you how much we appreciate your support and sponsorship. It is people like you that make this ministry possible and we are truly grateful for your generosity.

Blessings to you,
Meredith Dunn