Initially, ‘Glasses of Grace’ started because my niece, Grace, had to get glasses for reading. Since grace is such a spiritual topic and the fact that my niece is such a doll, I started thinking about the ways God shows us His grace on a daily basis. From His servings, His 'glasses of grace' to us - to seeing the world through the eyes of grace (or Grace, since she had new glasses and better sight), it made sense in more ways than one, so a title was born. Blessings and all, this is my life…

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Being a friend.

Making a long story short, I took Grace to soccer practice tonight. I usually try to take her to one of her practices each week because I want to be an involved aunt and I love the time with her, but I usually take my ipod along to either watch a movie I've downloaded or listen to music that I have on there. I've discovered it's a great place to worship as I am still, quiet and listening. Tonight, this song got my attention as I listened to the words, and the tears were flowing. Just thinking of people I know who have been through such tragic things and, as the writer of it, what Steven Curtis Chapman's family has been through as well. It's powerful.


I did a little research and found it was based on Galatians 6:2 -'Carry each others burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ' and Luke 5:18-20 - 'Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.'

I need to remember to be THIS kind of friend and be attentive to the needs around me day in and day out.

A good song like this is timeless.

4 comments:

Deedra said...

Amen! I need to remember to be that kind of friend too. Very powerful post!

I love that you take Grace to practice once a week! I bet she loves it too! What an awesome aunt!

Tonja said...

Hi friend!
Wise words to read this morning! Hope all is going well with you!
Think of you often!

Jean said...

I never heard it before, but I love it. What a picture - carrying each other to Jesus at our time of need. I have experienced that and it's amazing.

Jean said...

Wonderful song. This is truly the meaning of empathy! We CAN carry one another to Jesus and that is so important when someone is in need.
Love you bunches :-)